Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
I usually just fold the front seats flat, recline the rear seats and grab a sleeping bag. Like it shows in the owners manual. Toss a mosquito-net over the tilted moon-roof for a little fresh-air option. If you are willing to spend a few dollars for an electric camp site you can use a oil-filled radiator for heat and a electric skillet for cooking.
A small sleeping mat would also help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
RAV camping

We're heading out for a few days this weekend to try out our newest purchase…. a model #820000 SUV tent from Napier. If the weather holds I'll take some picts and post 'em.

We looked at various options for sleeping comfort and settled on a pair of lounge chair cushions from WallyWorld (Walmart). They fit perfectly, the cushy part sits over the gap so with any luck we should be able to sleep comfortably and walk the next day.

Self-inflating mats were about $65.00 and up, inflatable mattress was about $100.00, latex foam isn't an option due to allergies so the cushions with an older sleeping bag on top should work just fine.

Cheers!

Here's the link to the picts… http://www.rav4world.com/forums/98-4-3-interior/92852-can-you-sleep-inside.html#post2143801

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just posted this http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/236186-rv4.html showing our Rav4 transformation..
Nice job! That's quite a trip too…. we drove back to Ontario (Oshawa) last year in the Rav and it was a comfortable drive and as I recall we averaged about 7 lt./100 km. Slept in motels along the way though…. we've since purchased an SUV tent from Napier… love it!

Thanks for sharing the picts too. It shows you what you can do with these vehicles.

Cheers!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Geez seens like everygood topic on here doesnt have pics or.maybe my phone is not letting me see em
Sure would.like to see a pic of the camper suv tent for the rav

·
Registered
609 Posts
Geez seens like everygood topic on here doesnt have pics or.maybe my phone is not letting me see em
Sure would.like to see a pic of the camper suv tent for the rav
This post has links to the pictures and other post.
See if your phone browser has a way to turn on links.

They link to some good information and photos.

I mostly use my phone as a watch, so I can't offer any help with the phone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bumping this thread since I just (mostly) completed my conversion. Removing the rear seats and rear shoulder rests adds much desired bed width and headroom/storage room.

I chose to go with the cedar interior because I've always been jealous of the Sprinter van conversions and I wanted to add insulation for warmth and sound deadening, as well as block off the rear windows for privacy in this fishbowl. The remaining windows are having mosquito screens and blackout curtains made to fit.

I have soundproofed the whole Rav now but I would say the headliner provides the best bang for your buck. Relocated speakers also greatly improve interior sound quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bumping this thread since I just (mostly) completed my conversion. Removing the rear seats and rear shoulder rests adds much desired bed width and headroom/storage room.

I chose to go with the cedar interior because I've always been jealous of the Sprinter van conversions and I wanted to add insulation for warmth and sound deadening, as well as block off the rear windows for privacy in this fishbowl. The remaining windows are having mosquito screens and blackout curtains made to fit.

I have soundproofed the whole Rav now but I would say the headliner provides the best bang for your buck. Relocated speakers also greatly improve interior sound quality.
That setup looks pretty rad. Does the bed fold to extend into the front seat area in any way? I ask because I've done some measurements on my own buggy and tailgate to front seatback isn't enough to sleep comfortably. Also, any estimate to how much weight that wood adds?

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can design one that folds - mine has a top sheet that slides forward and drops into place.

The front seats extends as far forward as the seat rails will go and the top sheet rests on the back of the seats for support. I'm 6'2 and if fits me comfortably.

As far as weight goes, less than 100lbs for sure. The oak panels are feather light, maybe 5lbs for all of it, structural pine for framing 1x2's maybe 5-10lbs, the biggest weight comes from the plywood bed / drawers - I used 5/8" for sturdiness. The equivalent of 3 - 4' x 8' sheets.

Would recommend giving it a shot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts