Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Toyota Rav4 which came with 4 run flat tires and the normal repair kit. The ride is too bumpy for my liking.
I am looking to convert to traditional tires. Somewhere I remember reading up on how to convert the normal luggage compartment to adapt to be able to carry a spare wheel (space saver or normal).
Is it doable as I cannot find the thread again on this forum for looking.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
moved to 4.3 Exterior

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I have a 2009 Toyota Rav4 which came with 4 run flat tires and the normal repair kit. The ride is too bumpy for my liking.
I am looking to convert to traditional tires. Somewhere I remember reading up on how to convert the normal luggage compartment to adapt to be able to carry a spare wheel (space saver or normal).
Is it doable as I cannot find the thread again on this forum for looking.
Thanks.
The storage compartment will not fit a full size tire. Perhaps a donut size spare tire from a 2013 and up RAV4 may work in the storage compartment. The donut size is 165 x 80 x17. The spare tire diameter is 26.1 inch and the width is 6.5 inch.

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
There has been a number of posts over the years asking the same question. In addition to DL175's notes and suggestions. some have resorted to not having a spare and instead relying upon the repair kit, others have had to have a spare in the regular rear cargo area and securing it so that it doesn't become a projectile in the event of a crash, but of course that occupies valuable cargo room. One owner I recall mounted a spare on the roof. Another was trying to obtain a rear door with the spare wheel mounting bracket.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
There has been a number of posts over the years asking the same question. In addition to DL175's notes and suggestions. some have resorted to not having a spare and instead relying upon the repair kit, others have had to have a spare in the regular rear cargo area and securing it so that it doesn't become a projectile in the event of a crash, but of course that occupies valuable cargo room. One owner I recall mounted a spare on the roof. Another was trying to obtain a rear door with the spare wheel mounting bracket.
I recall that thread about putting the spare mounted on the inside of the lift gate door. It does look ugly plus it will block part of your rear window since the tire sits higher.

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
I recall that thread about putting the spare mounted on the inside of the lift gate door. It does look ugly plus it will block part of your rear window since the tire sits higher.
And if you ever hit something it'll try to kill you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts