Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2011 RAV4 4-cylinder VVT dual cam

Well, now I told my wife next time any warning light comes on just stop and call me...

Dealer said replace motor. I'm doing it myself with the friends to help.

I'm prepping it by removing crap around it, one thing I'm struggling at this moment is how to relieve fuel pressure.

I thought about locating fuel pump fuse or relay - can't find it, then just keep running engine with starter motor - is it good idea?

Or is there a bleed nipple, or something..

What a good source for a good used engine? I got one located locally but can't choose from having only one available...

Thanks for all the recommendations...

Lost Newfoundland

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pulling the fuel pump fuse will work fine for relieving pressure...

Thanks. Engine is not running. So if I locate and pull fuse, turn ignition on, - should some kinda valve open and pressure released back into tank?

There is spot for Fuel Pump relay in the LH side fuse box on the its cover, but there is no socket for it..

I'm assuming it's near steering wheel to the left, which I didn't see access port...

Thanks.

http://lostnewfoundland.blogspot.com/?m=0

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
I don't get this at all. :confused: If you're removing the engine why turn the key on? And the FIRST step in any such job is disconnecting the battery. Yes, there may be pressure remaining in the system, so just be careful as gas sprays out when you loosen the first fitting.

Best of luck but IMO, just the fact that you need to ask such a question and your breaking something already, "The nipple on transition piece near transmission oil dip stick broke off." makes me seriously question you & your friends capability to complete this transplant.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, broken nipple was the cause of bursting coolant out on highway...

Different cars have different procedures to relieve pressure in fuel lines. Just found out RAV4 has quick disconnect into schrader nipple..

Keeping the battery on would work for other cars if disconnecting fuel pump and turning ignition on, without pressure from tank side, remaining pressure in the line will dissipate back to the tank...

I haven't broken anything... yet... But, without releasing pressure one can wake up in puddle of fuel in garage as it will siphon out if not careful...

http://lostnewfoundland.blogspot.com/?m=0

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
if you are pulling the motor why are you pulling the head?
C'mon that should be obvious. 1) it makes the engine lighter, 2) it gives more opportunity to spill fluids on the floor, and 3) it's fun!

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Nice, clean work bench! That is quite a lot of damage to the head between the cylinders - and on a 2011 engine . . .???

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
Wow yeah that head is junk! What's the block look like in that area?

·
Super Moderator
11,096 Posts
In my experience an engine that got hot enough to do that damage to the head likely also overheated the piston rings taking the tensile strength out of them. If so the engine will be an oil burner if they aren't replaced.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I agree with doc, with that much damage to the head, I wouldn't bother dismantling anything else(other than curiosity of course).
New engine time.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts