Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start with .. my car is a U.S.A imported car went from there to a Gulf country for a Year then imported to my country Yemen which is another Middle east country. it is 2006 i4 4wd limited with 170000 mile on the ODO.

I noticed the coolant color is dark-yellow almost brown but not caramel one .. very dirty .. i don't know if it was felt with water only and that color came from the Radiator. or was it pink but kept their for a long time due to a very long trip from Dubai to Yemen .. i really can't tell.

Now I'm planning to change it but i heard if the radiator was once filled with plain water, it is not advisable to fill it again with pink one as you will release some pieces of the clogged metal or something into the system.

The Weather here in my country never gets down below -6 c .. so freezing issue is not considered. also the highest degree is 40c

so how to tackle this.. how to be sure it was only water or a pink genuine went bad not changed for a long time

what to choose pink or green or water only ??

Can i do this or it required special tools and mechanical knowledge?

sorry for my English.

Thoughts are much appreciated.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Suggest that you drain whatever is in the cooling system and then flush the cooling system using a cooling system cleaner. Then refill the system with either a mix of either pink or green coolant mixed with distilled or purified water using half and half each - the color doesn't matter - which meets the specifications in the Owner's Manual. Do not refill with only plain water as that will result in rust and corrosion in the cooling system. Also using coolant with water will raise the boiling point higher than it would be when using water alone. Remember to have the heater temperature level set on High while draining, flushing, and refilling the system.

Your English is quite good - better than that of many native English speakers!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Ditto.
Coolant should be flushed and replaced at least every 5 years even in areas that do not see freezing temperatures.
And yes, everyone uses the term "Antifreeze" but you are correct that it is indeed "coolant", and adding it to water provides many benefits beyond just freeze prevention.
It protects the metal in the engine and radiator, lubricates the water pump, and provides protection against boil-over.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
If the coolant is brown, it sounds like somebody added green coolant to the factory red (or pink) coolant. Red + Green = Brown. Flush it all out and use the Toyota pink coolant.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
If the coolant is brown, it sounds like somebody added green coolant to the factory red (or pink) coolant. Red + Green = Brown. Flush it all out and use the Toyota pink coolant.
I thought of suggesting Toyota coolant until I recalled that the Toyota supplier in Yemen probably has been bombed by the Saudi air force in the civil war . . . :frown

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought of suggesting Toyota coolant until I recalled that the Toyota supplier in Yemen probably has been bombed by the Saudi air force in the civil war . . . :frown
There is no Toyota supplier in Yemen .. so many people calling themselves as Toyota Suppliers:serious

searching suppliers i came across ABRO Radiator All Season Coolant Anti Rust Formula (not an anti freeze)
i have attached the pictures but i can's see anything regarding Toyota specifications :confused:

another thing .. i have seen some you tube videos regarding the drain and fill steps and the cars in all were cold. and in a specific video with rav4 2008 4 cyl. there were two drain points engine block from under and the radiator one. is my car 2006 the same?

what about the point of Mr. Blogson (Remember to have the heater temperature level set on High while draining, flushing, and refilling the system.) sorry i can't figure it out. would you please explain more?

the manual says 6.8 liter for my car 4cyl. is this what I'm going to be able to drain from above steps (engine+radiator). the rav4 2008 guy from you tube was able to get almost 4 liters out of the car. so where are the remaining 2.6 liters per the Manual??

so many Questions .. first time doing it. or better to let a mechanic do it for me?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
The heater uses engine coolant to warm the car. With the heater on (set to hot) ALL of the coolant will be flushed out. With it off the old coolant will remain trapped in the heating system.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Fares, even if you have it done by a mechanic, it's always good to know what needs to be done and how to do it. Others have very correctly suggested flushing the system, which a mechanic could easily do, but here's a simple way to do it yourself:
Drain the system, leaving the heater on full temperature. Refill with radiator cleaner or if not available, plain water. Run engine until it's fully warmed up(15-20 min). Drain again and depending on the color of what comes out, repeat the procedure. Do this until clear water comes out.
Then add the recommended amount of coolant, followed by filling the system with water. This will result in the proper 50/50 mix of coolant and water.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The heater uses engine coolant to warm the car. With the heater on (set to hot) ALL of the coolant will be flushed out. With it off the old coolant will remain trapped in the heating system.
is there any step by step procedure of changing the coolant system? i have seen a lot of videos but didn't come across heater. where is this unit or its control button to be?

thanks for help

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
is there any step by step procedure of changing the coolant system? i have seen a lot of videos but didn't come across heater. where is this unit or its control button to be?

thanks for help
The temperature dial on the dashboard. Should be set to full hot.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

thanks for help
He is referring to the flushing part. After draining the coolant you need to fill the radiator full of water and put the drain plug back. Squeeze hose to let air out or release the air bleeder valve. (don't remove completely so all the water comes out) Turn on the heater to high heat to allow the thermostat to open up so the water circulates the entire engine passages. Turn engine on and let it idle for about 5-10 minutes or the coolant temperature is high in the dash. Then turn off the engine and drain the water.

I seen some videos where they don't put the drain plug back on but put a hose and let the water running with the engine on. I actually done this on a Camry but found this to be risky as it caused the water pump bearing to fail because the water level was too low.

·
Registered
162 Posts

thanks for help
if you are referring to just the heater core you can do this additionally to fully flush just the core and the controls for heat need to be on....................>

I also do this procedure when there is a low heat condition, i have an old dodge dakota and occasionally
i do this and the heat output increases.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your informative replies.

I ended up letting the mechanic did the job. There was no engine block drain plug under the car or air bleeder beside the thermostat.

As JuneBug said, it was coming out green .. so someone added green to pink!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if you are referring to just the heater core you can do this additionally to fully flush just the core and the controls for heat need to be on....................> How to Flush a Heater Core Safely (with a garden hose) - YouTube

I also do this procedure when there is a low heat condition, i have an old dodge dakota and occasionally
i do this and the heat output increases.
I can't locate this in my car .. the only two hoses getting in & out through the firewall are one linked to the T junction and the other is to a pipe goes under the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Fares the youtube video guy Christ Fix used a tee connector kit to connect it between the coolant line. You really do not need to do this unless your radiator is rusty inside and super dirty. Just drain the old coolant and fill the radiator with water and let it run for 15 minutes with the heater on high. Make sure the drain plug is still plugged in. Then shut off the car and drain the dirty water. Maybe repeat the procedure one more time to make sure it is really clean. That is all you need to do for a simple flush if your old coolant comes out clean without any debris or junk.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts