Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Been a while since I have posted here but the 2003 Rav4 has been running like a champ! It's the wife's daily driver on her 100 mile daily round trip commute to work each day. I want to treat her to a nice coolant flush and fresh refill. I have a gallon of the red genuine Toyota coolant and am ready to go. Before I drain it, I wanted to see if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what size plastic tubing will fit over the radiator petcock drain nipple? Also, is there an engine coolant drain plug? I saw a video of one on a 2008 Rav, but wasn't sure if the 4.2 model had one as well. If so, where is she located?

On a less fun note, for the last 9000 miles there has been a super odd intermittent wobble/grinding noise in the left rear. Up until just this week, the noise would only occur if putting weight on that wheel such as in a turn. Now it is pretty constant. I have had my share of bad wheel bearings, but this doesn't sound like your typical bearing noise. I have taken off the drum, looked for anything odd and all looks normal. Little lost on this one. I will note that about 40K miles ago I had the bearing in that side replaced with a Moog bearing and hub. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks everyone! Hope everyone's Ravioli's are running awesome.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yes there is a coolant drain plug on the engine. It is located lower on the block (in front of the RAV), near the A/C compressor. For your rear noise, it seems it is a wheel bearing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes there is a coolant drain plug on the engine. It is located lower on the block (in front of the RAV), near the A/C compressor. For your rear noise, it seems it is a wheel bearing.
Thanks for the feedback! I was thinking wheel bearing all along but never had one make intermittent noise. Is that possible?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
659 Posts
By intermittent noise you mean only when turning? If yes it is not rare for a front wheel bearing... but less common for a rear bearing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By intermittent noise you mean only when turning? If yes it is not rare for a front wheel bearing... but less common for a rear bearing.
It used to only happen when going into turns but now its almost constant straight or turning. What's odd is it sounds like when a rotor rubs a dust shield however I have drums in the rear. I took off the drum and all looks normal.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I did the coolant flush and am so glad I did it. The coolant was nasty. I then did a 50/50 of red Toyota coolant with distilled water. The only thing I don't understand is the 50/50 mixture only shows -10 degree protection. On the bottle is says 50/50 is -34 degrees. Something isn't adding up. I know for a fact the mixture if 50/50. I was very meticulous about it.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
50/50 means it's already diluted to 50/50. You further diluted it to 25/75.
I bought a gallon of 50/50 recently. It said do not mix with water right on the bottle.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Did you check it with a propylene ou ethylene tester? The results are différents.

Allow your coolant to do a few cold/hot cycles and mix properly before re-test it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just in case anyone else with 2003 4.2 Rav wants to know what the engine coolant drain plug looks like, here she is...sits on the passenger top side of the oil pan.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just in case anyone else with 2003 4.2 Rav wants to know what the engine coolant drain plug looks like, here she is...sits on the passenger top side of the oil pan.

Is this what you are talking about---engine drain plug???? Please confirm it. I would like to do my own coolant flush in the near future.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's your girl! Be sure to bleed the system well after you fill it with new coolant. I didn't bleed mine well enough and this winter my heat wasn't blowing super hot. Ended up doing a reverse flush of the heater core and heat was restored.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's your girl! Be sure to bleed the system well after you fill it with new coolant. I didn't bleed mine well enough and this winter my heat wasn't blowing super hot. Ended up doing a reverse flush of the heater core and heat was restored.

Did you refill ethylene-glycol type coolant (supposed to be green color)???My owner manual requires that type of coolant instead of alcohol type coolant. But my coolant is pink color. I would like top off the coolant for next 5 or 6 months but I am not sure whether I will refill the wrong coolant by its color.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used red coolant because that's what was in it previously. The red coolant is good for 50,000 miles. The pink coolant Toyota says is good for 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been searching Youtube trying to find a demo video showing how to flush coolant for 4.2 Generation but I could not find one. It is a pity !

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been searching Youtube trying to find a demo video showing how to flush coolant for 4.2 Generation but I could not find one. It is a pity !
It's pretty straight forward I promise. Drain the radiator. Then drain the engine block. Flush with a a hose, then refill. Let the system bleed. Done.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's pretty straight forward I promise. Drain the radiator. Then drain the engine block. Flush with a a hose, then refill. Let the system bleed. Done.

I have done coolant flush for my VW several times. Yes, it shall be straightforward. But this RAV4 has one more drain plug--at engine compared to my VW.

By the way, what size socket shall I use to loosen that engine drain plug? 10 or 13mm?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pretty sure it's 10mm. And I'm very well versed in vws engineered coolant system. The rav is much easier. Owned a gti vr6 for 13.5 years.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts