Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Coolant is at low line

8K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Phatota 
#1 ·
2016 Rav4 mileage at 33,718 miles I noticed this morning when checking the oil the coolant was at the line where it says low but not lower than the line and I recall in January it was at the same spot. I read other posts other people had this happen so is this normal when the car is cold or should I add coolant? If so It should be Zerex correct? Its for Toyota vehicles

#2 ·
moved to 4.4

#3 ·
You should be fine at that point Jimmy. Mine usually sits there when it’s cold. Just follow the instructions in the manual.

BTW it’s ok this time as many 4.3-ers have the same 2.5L engine, but you should post your question in the 4.4 group as it’s for the year range of 2013-2018. As you can see Dr. Dyno was super quick to relocate it as I was typing my response!

#6 ·
Lol no worries, My grandpas name is Vinny and everyone called him uncle Jimmy believe it or not lol. Anyway I guess I’ll leave the coolant where it is for now I read many other post for the most part it expands when it warms but I’ll check that out

#7 ·
While your coolant level is fine you are at the low end of the range. It is fine anywhere between full and add when checked cold. Even filled up to full there is room in the tank for expansion. I usually keep it about mid way between the two lines.

#8 ·
I drove it this morning for 15 miles I checked it after it did go up a little bit. It was maybe 1-2 inches above the low line. I did order zerex from Amazon it’s coolant for Toyota vehicles and I’ll add a little when it comes most people say keep between full and low cold so I’ll do that

#9 ·
A few days ago I noticed that the hybrid coolant level is at the low line and the engine coolant level was in the middle on my 2018 RAV4 Hybrid (143.000 km). I dropped off to a local Toyota dealer and I bought 1L of this Toyota SLLC coolant ($16). I used around 100ml to top off the power control unit coolant reservoir (from Low to High) and another 100ml to top off the engine coolant reservoir (from Middle to High). Problem solved.

Liquid Fluid Gadget Communication Device Water

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.