Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Rav4 2004... it just started a coolant leak. I'm sure if I just tear into it I will get it fixed. I would however like to have the replacement parts on hand when I tear into it. There is a "aluminum" cast attached to the engine side of the bottom radiator hose. The leak is coming from between the cast and the engine block. Does anyone have a book that might tell me what goes in there. Paper gasket... O Ring" or whatever. I just got the SUV a couple months ago for my wife. This seems to be the only issue and it just started. Any idea of where I might get a free repair book for it?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
First off welcome and please update your profile for your vehicle. A photo of the leak would be helpful. The bottom hose connects to the neck. The upper hose connects to a thermostat. So since it is the bottom one leaking then there is a leak on the hose but without the picture I am guessing that is the problem. The water pump is right on the drive belt pulley which can leak down also.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
leak

My leak appears to be directly under the Alternator. I got the manual downloaded but haven't had time to get into it yet. 04 Rav4 automatic trans 2 wd.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it torn apart. It is the thermostat gasket. Looks like someone put it in recently. It isn't old...but it is badly damaged. Maybe tried to put it in without taking off the obstructions thus didn't get it in straight. Anyway. Got new one and thermostat...going to be sure to do this right fist time. Putting it all back today... then valve cover gasket.. Once I got in there close I can see where it is doing some leaking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to check that water pump while I'm there and its' apart. No need to find out later it was bad. Thanks for reminding me of that one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts