Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked my oil the other day after dealer did our first service. While poking around under the hood to make sure there was nothing out of place after the dealer had been under the hood, I noticed that there is no drain hose connected to the coolant recovery tank overflow port. Is Toyota just trying to save a buck across the board on the 2014's or did they just forget to install it on my particular vehicle?

Easy fix for a couple bucks-but at $27k-shouldn't really have to!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
Just checked my oil the other day after dealer did our first service. While poking around under the hood to make sure there was nothing out of place after the dealer had been under the hood, I noticed that there is no drain hose connected to the coolant recovery tank overflow port. Is Toyota just trying to save a buck across the board on the 2014's or did they just forget to install it on my particular vehicle?

Easy fix for a couple bucks-but at $27k-shouldn't really have to!
Yep, they're all like that. You could put one on there if you think it's necessary. I like it the way it is--if there is coolant overflowing it will leave pink crystals as calling cards. With the hose you might never notice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I installed a Gates #18020 hose. It s a 5/16" ID with a factory formed 90 degree elbow at 4" from the end. Fits perfect and looks like Toyota installed it-like they should have.

Wanted to post the part # of the hose in case anyone else wants to follow suite.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
Well I installed a Gates #18020 hose. It s a 5/16" ID with a factory formed 90 degree elbow at 4" from the end. Fits perfect and looks like Toyota installed it-like they should have.

Wanted to post the part # of the hose in case anyone else wants to follow suite.
Where did you buy it? How about a picture?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Yep, they're all like that. You could put one on there if you think it's necessary. I like it the way it is--if there is coolant overflowing it will leave pink crystals as calling cards. With the hose you might never notice.

I like the hose idea myself, saves a possible cleanup and may eliminate a coolant odor problem too.

If you check under the hood regularly you'll see if your 'coolant overflow recovery bottle' is FULL, LOW, or EMPTY (with or without a hose attached) and can then take the appropriate actions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are a couple of pictures of the finished job.

Parts purchased off the shelf at O'Reilly Auto Parts:

Gates #18020 5/16 ID hose- $12.99
MTM #13400-pack of 6 assorted fuel hose clamps-$3.99

Still have (5) assorted hose clamps for future use as I only needed 1 out of the pack. Secured the other end of the hose with a black zip-tie to the lower OEM coolant tank bracket-two factory holes right there-perfect!

My first shot at picture attachments-so hope it works!

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
Our RAV4 smells of coolant also. We live at the top of a hill which gets the engine hot. Can smell coolant when walking around front of the car just after parking it in the garage. Could not find any signs of coolant leakage and reservoir has not gone down. Will have to add hose and see if that reduces or stops coolant odor. Thanks for a good suggestion.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Our RAV4 smells of coolant also. We live at the top of a hill which gets the engine hot. Can smell coolant when walking around front of the car just after parking it in the garage. Could not find any signs of coolant leakage and reservoir has not gone down. Will have to add hose and see if that reduces or stops coolant odor. Thanks for a good suggestion.

I'd take a close look at the water pump under the pulley. You won't see anything on the ground and it doesn't take much coolant to make a stink.

My wife's 2010 RAV4 doesn't have an overflow hose and I don't intend to install one. I'd rather see the pink crusties on the top of the reservoir rather than hidden from view.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My wife's 2010 RAV4 doesn't have an overflow hose and I don't intend to install one. I'd rather see the pink crusties on the top of the reservoir rather than hidden from view.
It should only overflow when it is driven hard and the coolant level in the tank is too high. As long as there is still coolant at the proper level in the tank I'd rather have it out on the highway and not in my engine compartment.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Will take a look at the water pump, but with only 10K miles it's not something that should be happening.
Coolant vapor is pushed out of the reservoir as the engine heats up and the coolant expands. There maybe enough vapor to smell. Will have to see how the 2012 Camery overflow is set up, have not noticed a coolant oder from it.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
You could have the best of both worlds.

Install using a clean tube in a loop. Any coolant escaping would be trapped in the loop. Any excess that the loop cannot contain will just flow down the tube.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes at 10k you wouldn't expect things to go bad but things happen. Did you notice if the temp gauge was in the hot range during the climb up your hill? As soon as you smell the coolant, pop the hood, the cooling system will be under the highest pressure. Check for a pinhole leak in the radiator or hose, and mentioned previously the water pump. A defective radiator cap could cause the fluid level to rise in the overflow tank. When the engine is cold check for a loose hose clamp or thermostat housing bolt.

·
Registered
283 Posts
After reading this thread about some Rav4 not having a drain hose I started wondering about my new 2015 Tacoma. No hose just a 90 degree diverter to aim it downward.
Can't remember what my 2010 Tacoma had.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My 2008 FJ Cruiser has a coolant tank overflow hose, albeit a small one.
My gone but not forgotten 97 T-100, 95 Tacoma, 95 Tercel, and 94 Celica (best car I have ever owned) all had them.

My '04 Jeep Wrangler and 01 Dodge Ram also have overflow hoses.
Heck, my Kubota tractor even has one!!

But not the new Rav-4's; the coolant overflow hoses are probably still being engineered along with the LED eyebrows!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of the finished job.

Parts purchased off the shelf at O'Reilly Auto Parts:

Gates #18020 5/16 ID hose- $12.99
MTM #13400-pack of 6 assorted fuel hose clamps-$3.99

Still have (5) assorted hose clamps for future use as I only needed 1 out of the pack. Secured the other end of the hose with a black zip-tie to the lower OEM coolant tank bracket-two factory holes right there-perfect!

My first shot at picture attachments-so hope it works!
Interested in your experience with this. I have same odor emitting from my 2014 Limited. Did your hose-fix solve the odor issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did the mod back in early February. Have not smelled any coolant since then over some 10k miles. It never smelled that bad when I purchased the vehicle though. I just didn't like the concept of not having an overflow hose where there clearly should be one.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Have 9k miles on my 2014 Limited. Odor was there from beginning, never allot, just a trace. More apparent in garage or confined area. No loss of coolant so I tolerated. Actually in dealer this week for damage to one of the cooling fans. I mentioned to the tech, said he'd look over. Havent picked up the car yet. Will check on the hose you talked about when I retrieve the car. Thanks again...Bob

G

·
I'm just reading this thread for the first time. Don't know how I missed it..
I get the antifreeze smell only on 2 scenarios. And only smell it outside the vehicle.
1) When I turn on the A/C.
2) If I've been idling for a long period of time.

In both scenarios, the temp gauge never goes above the normal setting.

I said something when I had it in for service, but they said that they couldn't smell it, and found no leaks.
It's still happening..

·
Registered
499 Posts
Added the hose and still smelled coolant on occasion. Now that we are in AC weather have not smelled it. Might be that radiator fans run when AC is oo keeping the coolant temperature down, otherwise the coolant can get quite hot before the fans run. The higher temperature pushes some coolant into the reservoir which displaces some coolant vapor out, enough to smell? If the engine is hot enough when when it is shut off, there maybe some coolant boiling in the engine which pushes some coolant vapor out of the reservoir.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts