Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed my coolant reservoir is low. It is safe to use the 50/50 Anti-freeze from the grocery/auto-parts store? Or is the Toyota Long Life Coolant the only option?

Also, what's the part no.?

Thnx in advance...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Take it to your Toyota dealer to have it inspected. If the coolant is low, it could have a leak and yes, you only use the Toyota antifreeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
Owners Manuals specify what types of coolant are usable in RAVs. Any coolant which meets those specs, and there are several, can be used. The advantage of using Toyota coolant is that it generally has a longer service life than some othes.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
My experience in every vehicle that I can recall (not just the RAV),is that the normal level for coolant in the overflow bottle is either at, or just slightly below the minimum mark. As long as any coolant is at the bottom of the bottle, your radiator should be full. There are several threads in the forum that discuss this.

Of course I should mention that is the proper level fist thing in the morning before starting the engine. If you check the level after a long run on a hot day, it should be between the middle and maximum mark.

To answer your original question, if you only need a couple of ounces for top-up, then adding pure water will have a negligible effect when added to the quarts of coolant already in the system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts