Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2015 Rav4 XLE and I noticed this morning the coolant was a little below Low.

Haven't noticed any leaks on the ground. Is this anything to be concerned about I will make an appointment at the dealer to have it topped off and checked for leaks.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
Was the coolant level checked while the engine and coolant both were at room temperature, and had it also been checked previously while the RAV and coolant were at room temperature (engine cold)? Slight differences in coolant levels aren't ordinarily cause for concern, but if the coolant level drops and continues to drop that would indicate coolant loss. If that is the case the dealer should pressure test the system to check for leaks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My coolant level has always been between the high and low marks since new. Not a cause for concern as long as you don't have a leak.

·
Super Moderator
11,586 Posts
Assuming no leaks, which I believe is the case here, the dealer will just add some water. You can do that yourself with some distilled water. It will only take a cup or two to bring it to the proper level. Keep an eye on it from that point on.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked it on level ground in the morning after it was sitting over night. The level was a few inches below the low mark on the coolant tank. Probably going by the dealer tomorrow to get it topped off and see if stays between the high and low mark.

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
If the coolant level in your 11/16 post is much lower than it was as reported in your first post that likely would indicate a problem. We had a new Subaru in which the coolant level would lower more than it should have, several tests by a rather incompetent dealer didn't identify the problem, but I finally discovered that there was a small leak at a joint in the radiator which apparently leaked only when the engine was at normal operating temperature.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the coolant level in your 11/16 post is much lower than it was as reported in your first post that likely would indicate a problem. We had a new Subaru in which the coolant level would lower more than it should have, several tests by a rather incompetent dealer didn't identify the problem, but I finally discovered that there was a small leak at a joint in the radiator which apparently leaked only when the engine was at normal operating temperature.
I haven't checked it lately. I was just responding to the posts.

I haven't noticed any leaks on the driveway or any kind of smell. But I don't drive it everyday it is my wife's car. I just make sure it is maintained. I will be going to the dealer shortly when my wife comes home to get it topped off.

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problems with my Rav4 xle 2015 ...when is cold the coolant is 1/4'' under the minimum and he is than since 3000km to 5000km (now) and a friend said when he is made they fill him but he have air pocket in the heater system and after run the rav4 the coolant take the place of air.

You can also check to see leak.

Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts