Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I have replaced the sensor in the radiator. The sensor and the temp indicator in the upper hose neck that goes into the head . I've checked the relays under the hood . Both my fans run all the time with the key on . Could I have a computer problem . I know with Toyotas if anything in the coolant system fails . The coolant fan or fans default to on . Could it be possible I have a ECM problem . Does the computer control the fans . This issue is driving me nuts . Condensor fan is on with AC on or off . I've spoken to ECM repair shops . I can't get a straight answer . If there is a circuit in the ECM that has failed making fans default to on all the time . Im afraid to send to anyone . Because I don't want to get BSed . Am I missing something . 2000 Rav . This is my first post . I just joined . I hope I have asked this question in the right place and not attached to some else's question.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Both my fans run all the time with the key on . Could I have a computer problem . ....... 2000 Rav . This is my first post . I just joined . I hope I have asked this question in the right place and not attached to some else's question.
Since you have a 2000 RAV4, you should have posted in the 4.1 section (1994-2000). One of the moderators will move this for you.

The good new is that the ECM does not control the fans.

Both fans are place in series whenever the AC clutch is operated. As a result the fans will run at half speed.

When the water temperature is above 194F, or the refrigerant pressure is above 191.7 PSI, both fans will run at high speed.

If the AC compressor is not running, and the water temperature is below 194F, then neither fan should run.

So the first step is determining if your 2 fans are running at half speed or full speed. I am suspecting the answer will be "full speed" which indicates the water temperature switch or the refrigerant switch is defective. It could also simply be that the connector on either of these 2 switches has fallen off which would also cause the 2 fans to run at full speed.

A quick test is to unplug the harness from each switch (one at a time) and place a jumper wire in the harness to short out the 2 connectors. If the fans stop, you have located a defective switch.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,730 Posts
I have moved this thread to the 4.1 forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts