Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My RAV4.3 V6 2012 started to act strangely. When I turn the engine off and remove the ignition key, the cooling fans start to rotate at high speed and won't stop unless I disconnect the battery. When the engine is running, everything seems in order, no MIL, fans start and stop properly, temperature stays normal.

Even after 8 hours in the garage, the fans start to rotate at high speed a few minutes after I reconnect the battery.

Anyone has seen this before?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Hi

My RAV4.3 V6 2012 started to act strangely. When I turn the engine off and remove the ignition key, the cooling fans start to rotate at high speed and won't stop unless I disconnect the battery. When the engine is running, everything seems in order, no MIL, fans start and stop properly, temperature stays normal.

Even after 8 hours in the garage, the fans start to rotate at high speed a few minutes after I reconnect the battery.

Anyone has seen this before?

Thanks!
I'm no expert so I hope our wiring gurus will chime in soon, but it certainly sounds like a defective fan relay.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
yeah, sounds like a fan relay that is sticking

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
When I turn the engine off and remove the ignition key, the cooling fans start to rotate at high speed and won't stop unless I disconnect the battery. ......Even after 8 hours in the garage, the fans start to rotate at high speed a few minutes after I reconnect the battery.
Your V6 has two fans blowing air through the radiator/condenser.
  • Is it these fans that you have noticed running?
  • Are both the left and right fans running, or only one of them?
  • Do the fans run continuously if you start the engine for only a few minutes and shut it off, or do they only display this problem after the engine has been running at normal operating temperature?
  • Under the hood, on the passenger side (in North America) is a fuse/relay box. In it you will find a FAN1 and a FAN2 relay. If you pull these relays out do the fans stop running?
  • Does this only happen when you have the AC switched on, or does it happen when the controls are in heat mode only?
Edit: It seems that there will only be a single relay if your RAV is not equipped with the trailer towing package, but I recall hearing that all Canadian RAVS had the towing package (at least back in 2008).

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Edit: It seems that there will only be a single relay if your RAV is not equipped with the trailer towing package, but I recall hearing that all Canadian RAVS had the towing package (at least back in 2008).
all years of V6 rav4s sold in Canada have the towing package.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your helpful answers. I ended up visiting my local dealership. They found out that the windshield has been replaced some time ago but not correctly glued in place. A bit of urethane was missing at the top left of the windshield causing water to leak along the pillar, inside the cabine. Water was affecting the cooling fans circuitry and eventually messed up the remote starter ..

The problem started after the RAV4 stayed outside during a rainy day. It was the first time we received a lot of rain after the winter. I bought this car secondhand last September and didn't notice that the windshield has been replaced.

I'm glad at the end that the problem is not Toyota's fault!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts