Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a 2012 I-4 4wd auto. I recently bought a very small camper and based on info from this site had a mechanic friend install a transmission cooler. A couple of times in the last week it seemed to me that my RAV is running a little hot. In the past the temp gauge seemed to sit a notch below half way. Now it seems it's sitting a notch or two above half way-but still no where near "H". Also, the engine seems to smell a little hotter. The cooling fans are working. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Is it my imagination?

The trans cooler (7"x11") was installed in upper right hand corner of the RAV's radiator, behind the horns. My friend and I were a little surprised in the design because so much of the bumper trim blocked the smallish RAV radiator. I'm a bit concerned because I haven't even towed the camper yet, nor has it been warm in Michigan. What will happen if I'm towing on a 90 degree day? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hi, when you say a small camping trailer, is it a pop up, or a travel trailer?

I have tow a 3000# 8 foot tall trailer and the transmission temps really do go high, even with a big oil cooler... but for the engine temps, I didn't see a difference with my readings (w/ scangauge)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Octane, it's just an 800# trailer. But it's not registered it so I haven't towed it yet. I'm just talking driving the RAV itself around town and the engine temp seems a little higher. It could be my imagination but I really don't think so. And I'm just going by the temp gauge in dash; I didn't install a separate temp gauge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts