Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 is my first car with an automatic and I seem to have trouble making corners. On a manual, you usually pass the apex somewhere around the max-torque point, enough RPMs to have control but not so much as to make yourself shift on the exit. So, the next shift happens when demands for directional control are relaxed and you can release one hand. Right? Everything is fine.

Now I cannot make the engine to rev higher than the computer wants, so it goes very low at the turn-in and stays there. When I step on it after the apex, the tranny downshifts. And you know the downshifts of 4.3! The silly thing really bogs down for a full second, considering its internal wisdom or something, and it happens right in the most unfortunate moment.

I started to think that maybe I can move, say, to '2' on the turn-in and upshift at conventional schedule after the exit. Does anyone think it's a good idea?

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
sure it's a great idea... if you want to prematurely wear down your downshift cable and put excessive wear on the torque converter and gears. This isn't a stickshift car. Just hop on the gas earlier.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
If you want to corner faster, upgrade your suspension. You have to remember that the RAV4 transmission is not program like a sports car, it is program for fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Automatics and high performance driving don't (usually) go together, as you have discovered. Even ManuMatic type trannies are at best a band-aid. A Ferrari Formula1 type "auto" tranny is pretty darn good, but it is in another universe, costwise.

You simply need to slow down. The RAV4 is an SUV with a higher center of gravity than a car, and it demands respect under normal driving. It isn't especially bad in terms of rollover risk, compared to a lot of SUVs (the Trooper comes to mind) but nonetheless, cornering at high speeds is just asking for a rollover, which will definitely ruin your day.

I suggest moderation.

But I'm a risk averse Old Fart, and you will probably tell me to mind my own business.

John Davies
Spokane WA

S

·
0 Posts
John E Davies said:
Automatics and high performance driving don't (usually) go together, as you have discovered. Even ManuMatic type trannies are at best a band-aid. A Ferrari Formula1 type "auto" tranny is pretty darn good, but it is in another universe, costwise.
Bosch other brands are bring 10 year old F1 technology to the masses with dual clutch trannies which can shift much faster than any human could with a manual tranny. They operate in manual or automatic mode with no pedal. VW calls it DSG and I think mitsubishi is showing it off in their Evo X concept.

Another company makes a supposed better version called Zeroshift.

·
Registered
237 Posts
zaitcev said:
My 2006 is my first car with an automatic and I seem to have trouble making corners. On a manual, you usually pass the apex somewhere around the max-torque point, enough RPMs to have control but not so much as to make yourself shift on the exit. So, the next shift happens when demands for directional control are relaxed and you can release one hand. Right? Everything is fine.

Now I cannot make the engine to rev higher than the computer wants, so it goes very low at the turn-in and stays there. When I step on it after the apex, the tranny downshifts. And you know the downshifts of 4.3! The silly thing really bogs down for a full second, considering its internal wisdom or something, and it happens right in the most unfortunate moment.

I started to think that maybe I can move, say, to '2' on the turn-in and upshift at conventional schedule after the exit. Does anyone think it's a good idea?
Automatics put a premium on smooth driving, concentrate on squeezing the throttle and brakes as opposed to jumping on/off the throttle. I wouldn't manually shift an automatic for better performance, as it just increases wear and tear on the drivetrain. But, it's your RAV4, so it's your choice :)

DJ

·
Registered
240 Posts
zaitcev said:

You must have the I4 then, because there is no bog with the 5spd automagic from the V6.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not to get of topic but John E Davies stated:

You simply need to slow down. The RAV4 is an SUV with a higher center of gravity than a car, and it demands respect under normal driving. It isn't especially bad in terms of rollover risk, compared to a lot of SUVs (the Trooper comes to mind) but nonetheless, cornering at high speeds is just asking for a rollover, which will definitely ruin your day.

My neighbor's Trooper tipped over on the local Interstate. This may be a good reason for not getting a V6, if people act like the RAV4 V6 or I4 are sports cars. I take this info into account.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts