Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,785 Posts
I got an email from Toyota today, here's part of it that applies to this discussion.

Our manufacturing plants
In North America, all of our production facilities are currently closed, and as much as possible, the people on our teams are working from home. For essential staff, we have implemented best practices of social distancing and other protective measures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From https://www.tmmc.ca/media/pdf/20200408_covid19_update-en.pdf (Note from APRIL 8, 2020):

Toyota extends its production suspension through May 1 - Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and decline in vehicle demand, Toyota is further extending the length of its production suspension at all of its automobile and components plants in North America, including Canada, Mexico and the U.S. The manufacturing facilities will remain closed through May 1, resuming production on May 4. Our service parts operations and finished vehicle logistics centres will continue to operate in order to meet the ongoing needs of our customers. We will continue to monitor the situation and take appropriate action in a timely manner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guess we all have to be calm and wait for this pandemic to be over. Every company that is not part of the Frontliners needed to fight this virus has been closed until further notice.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Now Japan has a state of emergency. Can't help but think plants there will be affected. Might even delay the Prime.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yesterday an Amazon seller (not Amazon itself) wanted $400 for a box of 24 2 ounce travel bottles of hand sanitizer. Those are normally like $1.99 tops.

I learned you can make your own hand sanitizer: 3 parts 91% or 99% isopropyl alcohol and 1 part aloe vera gel.
About that recipe for hand sanitizer... Early on I saw that and bought aloe vera gel from Amazon. No price gouging yet. Then I thought I'd just pick up some 91% alcohol. Not available anywhere. recipe is NG if you can't get the ingredients!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Might even delay the Prime.
It really does. The Prime is getting build in the same factories. My order for a normal HEV RAV4 scheduled initially to be delivered on May 22nd was pushed to September. I didn't cancel the order but I will most probably.

·
Registered
2919 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package built June 20
927 Posts
A car built in Japan uses parts from many sources and countries. Likewise a Canadian or US built car. Any problems and you have very little buffer as you have wrung the necks of the suppliers and off-shored to the low cost supplier years ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It really does. The Prime is getting build in the same factories. My order for a normal HEV RAV4 scheduled initially to be delivered on May 22nd was pushed to September. I didn't cancel the order but I will most probably.
I will be waiting for your decision. Not sure as well if I'm going to cancel my order hoping that this pandemic will be over soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I will be waiting for your decision.
I will most probably cancel my order next week.
There are multiple reasons for doing that:
  1. I'm carefully watching this pandemic situation for the past months and I'm not seeing an improvement. Although that Wall Street is booming, the unemployment rate in US is skyrocketing, meaning more companies are being affected. I'm seeing the same picture in most countries. Businesses are going bankrupt and things are not improving but actually going in the other direction
  2. In 2-3 months I'll have the possibility to negotiate more aggressively due to this situation
  3. I can now pick from a growing number of used cars in good shape (20k KM or less) for a far lower price than I got from my dealer, which is a childhood friend, which gave me a ridiculous large discount
  4. If things actually go in the right direction and the situation improves steadily, I might consider a Prime or the normal Hybrid but 2021 :)
  5. I'm not forced to buy a new car now when I'm isolated at home
  6. No need to take a loan now. If things improve, I might get a better offer in the future

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I will most probably cancel my order next week.
There are multiple reasons for doing that:
  1. I'm carefully watching this pandemic situation for the past months and I'm not seeing an improvement. Although that Wall Street is booming, the unemployment rate in US is skyrocketing, meaning more companies are being affected. I'm seeing the same picture in most countries. Businesses are going bankrupt and things are not improving but actually going in the other direction
  2. In 2-3 months I'll have the possibility to negotiate more aggressively due to this situation
  3. I can now pick from a growing number of used cars in good shape (20k KM or less) for a far lower price than I got from my dealer, which is a childhood friend, which gave me a ridiculous large discount
  4. If things actually go in the right direction and the situation improves steadily, I might consider a Prime or the normal Hybrid but 2021 :)
  5. I'm not forced to buy a new car now when I'm isolated at home
  6. No need to take a loan now. If things improve, I might get a better offer in the future
Even if we get out of the lockdown in the summer this no doubt will have long term effect on global economy. It's already looking bad but it will have ripple effect and I think it will get worse in the future even after we get handle on the virus.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just ordered a RAV4 Hybrid AWD-i almost two weeks ago and because I live in Europe, I'll get it from Japan (not sure about other regions though)
I suppose most tier1 parts manufacturers are based in China so most if not all car manufacturers, including Toyota will be affected.
I wonder now if it's worth asking my money back from the dealer so I don't have to wait 12months to get my car. I saw some guys waited for 9 months. Guessing now this period can easily extend to 12 due to this complete freeze the Chinese Govt. imposed.

Oh man!
I ordered a RAV 4 hybrid XSE just before the covid started they had one on order and was scheduled for delivery between April 11- 21and was told no delays , yesterday I went the dealer to find out when I could pick up the car ( April 18) they told me it will be mid May so I canceled the order . They did not liked it . But it was written in the contract. The good thing is that I went to an other dealer asking for delivery time for the same model
and was told that they had on on order coming mid May but with tech package an $ 3000.-option
for the same price as the one I ordered first that did not have this option. they want sell during this covid 19 thing stay save

21 - 31 of 31 Posts