Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My much loved but well cared for Mk1 Rav4 (1999 SWB) has been developing
corrosion for a while in the rear wheel arches. I had to replace the fuel filler pipe and have some welding/repair done on these.

The other day I noticed to my horror that rust is now visible on both front
wheel arches forward of the front suspension mounts. I can see it from
inside the engine bay and when I poked at it I made a small hole. I could
see the wheel through the hole. It passed MOT last October without issues.

Is this the end? I would be a damn shame as this Rav is LPG converted and
runs great. I can't see how it would pass an MOT again and can't really see how the rust could be repaired.

Any ideas folks?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sukie,

It's quite near the suspension mount and inside the engine bay. I'll see if I can get a welder to have a look
at it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The big job really will be to undo the suspensions and all bits around to protect them, to empty all LPG line, then clean the place removing all the rust and contaminated metal, put a kitchen fire blanket under the hole where the welding take place to protect tyre, brakes etc... do the welding, protection paint, paint, and fit everything back.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Strange, we get LOTS of rust over in New England, but I do not recall seeing it this area. Do you have any photos?

ANYTHING can be welded, it just come down to how much you want to invest and/or if you have a "friend" who is good with a welder ;).

Reactions: Joe_Monkey

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll post some pics when I get a chance. I wish I'd had it undersealed when I bought it 3 and a half years ago. It only
cost me £1100 but I've kind of grown fond of it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts