Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever figured out the approximate cost per mile to operate their car?

I have a 97, 2WD, 4 door, 5 speed (green if it matters :D ). Use it for my work car. We get milage reembursment, but at a crappy rate (29.5 cents), trying to negotiate more.

B

·
0 Posts
Mr T,
I don't think 29.5 cents per mile is that bad. Doesn't the IRS allow 32.5?

I do calculate the cost per mile for all of our vehicles, but I leave out insurance and gas, admittedly two important expenses, but I really just look for a comparison between the vehicles.

That being said, our 1997 RAV4 has cost us about 31 cents a mile, which I consider to be pretty expensive. However, we've only got about 30k on it since we bought it, so as time goes on, the cost per mile goes down quite a bit. My daily driver 1996 Civic shows about 14 cents per mile. The cheapest car I have in my database was my old 1988 Integra. I put almost 100k on the thing and it shows 7.4 cents per mile.

Bogatyr

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fed rate is almost 40 cents now.. It has gone up every year.

AAA says its about 51 cents on average to operate acar, but i dont have a breakdown of this.

If you dont mind, could you post your breakdown of the 31 cents.
I'm putting 45+K miles a year on my rav. (have 145k miles now)

Thanks..

B

·
0 Posts
MrT,
Well, I don't really have it broken down into separate categories, but everything in my database is pretty much maintenance stuff. There are minor costs for "upgrades", ie, armrest, stereo etc, but the largest cost is the maintenance...I'd say something like 80-90%.
If I added in gas and insurance, I'm sure the gas would take over as the number one expense, but it's my wife's car and I can't count on ever getting the receipts from the gas station.
Bogatyr

H

·
0 Posts
I have a '99 4 dr. 2wd. which had been a 'dealer demo'.

Automatic, no extras except radio/cd, air. New tires as an inducement. Bought 5/18/00 with 15558 miles.

I do all maintenance. Dealer did service before I bought, using Mobil 0-30 Synthetic (their best) which I supplied.

I have put 60202 miles on the Rav at a cost of $0.40/mile USD. This includes all dollars spent-fluids, filters, insurance, etc. Tires (4) are nearing min. depth and will be replaced with OEM-type Bridgestones in a couple months for about $400.00 USD (not included above).

If you are doing a comparison, gas and insurance price differences will probably be the main variables. And the synth. oils are pricey, but don't amount to much overall.

In case you aren't familiar with oils, the good synthetics are far superior to 'normals' for most applications.

Herb

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you happen to have a breakdown of this?

The fed rate has gone up to 48.5 effective sept 1 due to gas prices. Our company still wants to screw us. I am now looking to get a new job. ..had a promising interview today.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Don't forget, a millage reembursment is based on a specific car (generally a domestic small car), so, if you use another type of vehicule, who costs more to use, you must pay for the extra it costs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was getting .40 per mile up until this past September when the feds raised it to .485 as stated above. As it sits right now the .485 rate is good up to the end of '05

1 - 8 of 8 Posts