Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use the Costco Auto Program to get pricing on the RAV4 Hybrid?

I've used it in the past when purchasing a Toyota and saved a few $$, so I was wondering if it's still worth using today.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've used it in the past when purchasing a Toyota and saved a few $$, so I was wondering if it's still worth using today.
I guess you won't know until you try.

We used it to get a price on a CR-V a while back. As I recall, we didn't get a price from Costco but we got a call from the dealer they referred us to within an hour! One test drive dissuaded us. The one we drove had the steering wheel vibration at idle.

·
Premium Member
7,942 Posts
When I bought my Hybrid there was no pricing available for the Hybrid thru Costco, the dealer does offer 15-50% off on parts and accessories to Costco members who buy a vehicle from them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I live in MA and did use Costco to get a quote in the beginning. Then I found out that the Costco auto program offers a good price, only if you don't like to negotiate with dealers. When I use Costco, a local dealer contacted me asking what models/color of car I am looking for. In my case, they sent me a model with MSRP 29714 (has mudguards and floor mats etc) and sale price 27373. I thought it was a very decent deal and almost bought the car until I read threads on this forum. After doing more home works, I decided not to go with Costco and directly negotiate with dealers using the price I got from Costco auto program.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PIAS5....
Thanks, my last results with the Costco program were pretty much the same- I ended up using the dealer Costco price as a starting point for negations.
So I guess for free it's not a bad way to start...

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Costco obviously is making some money when a buyer uses their program. I used it once and found that one could get a better deal by accessing a site which provides actual dealer invoice list prices (even that generally doesn't reflect actual cost to the dealer) and using that info as a starting point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used the Costco program and saved 1400 off MSRP, about split from dealer cost up, but remember the dealers still get money later from the "dealer holdbacks"

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used Costco program and got $1,650 below Invoice. Way better than other negotiations. Dealers kept using excuse that RAV4 Hybrid was very popular.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I live in MA and did use Costco to get a quote in the beginning. Then I found out that the Costco auto program offers a good price, only if you don't like to negotiate with dealers. When I use Costco, a local dealer contacted me asking what models/color of car I am looking for. In my case, they sent me a model with MSRP 29714 (has mudguards and floor mats etc) and sale price 27373. I thought it was a very decent deal and almost bought the car until I read threads on this forum. After doing more home works, I decided not to go with Costco and directly negotiate with dealers using the price I got from Costco auto program.
I'm going to a dealer tonight after work. I'm confused on how is the program suppose to work.

Should they have the "Costco price" available for every one on the lot when I get there or is this some thing where I say I'm interested in "that one over there" and they give me a price later. Can you order one in from the warehouse and get Costco pricing?

I realize you may not have the answers but if anyone else does please feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For me, dealer looked up make and model and quoted $1,650 below Invoice. Other Toyota incentives such as $500 cash discount or 0% financing were still available.
That is for any car with that make and model.I don't think there was any difference between XLE and Limited.
I believe the discount differs by state and maybe also by county.
Once you know Costco price, you can negotiate with other dealers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was going to use the Costco program at the local dealership. Looking at auttrader.com I saw the new RAV4 I wanted from a bigger dealership in a city about 100 miles away with a similar discount. I called to see if it was the Costco discount and the dealer said no but if bought a new RAV through them, they would give me an even bigger discount. I drove the 100 miles and they actually doubled the discount that Costco offered. Definitely worth the drive.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have used COSTCO for 20 years and have always found that I get a fair deal. The 2016 Rav4 Hybrid Limited with the Technology package and the white pearl color was 1700 under the MSRP. There was not one in the entire state and so I had to wait for one to be built. They did tell me that normally they do not discount the Hybrid Limited, but they went ahead and ordered one for me. I got all the other COSTCO goodies too.

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
The Costco price doesn't indicate what the dealer actually has to pay, including factory incentives, for their vehicles. A better negotiating point is knowing that actual cost, which Consumer Reports will provide for a price for each vehicle which interests the buyer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It wasn't available when we bought our Rav in December, however, did take advantage recently when buying my wife a new Corolla. Got the Costco price and then the rebates were applied...good deal. We also got a voucher for $200 to apply towards accessories.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have heard that you will get a $500 Costco Cash Card if you use their program. The vehicle and model must be on the list of eligible vehicles from Costco. When we purchased our RAV Hybrid a coupe of months ago it was not on the list. We saved a considerable amount off MSRP but given the scarcity of this model that was not easy. It's a tough negotiation when they sell every one they get within hours.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a bad experience in Pheonix, they never shared the Costco price sheet. I got my 2017 RAV4 Hybrid from another dealer. So I guess YMMV

·
Registered
18 Posts
Costco Auto Program Experience

I have used various auto buying programs over the years. Usually with positive results. Through the years, these programs have changed. Before you went straight to the fleet manager to get best pricing and availability.

I just used the Costco Auto Program this past Summer to get a new 2017 RAV4 hybrid. Traded in my 2008 RAV4. Requested pricing through the Costco website and got contacted by a few local dealers. Decided to go to the closest dealer since I was getting my old RAV4 serviced there. They called and I asked them how the Costco program worked. He explained I would give him my Costco card and we would sit down and log into a special Costco website to get pricing.

Well, what he said and what he did were two completely different things. One, he never asked to see my Costco card even though I offered it to him and two, we never did log on to that Costco website. I did end up buying the RAV4 and asked to see what the normal pricing was and the Costco pricing to make sure I could see the savings. He said, "You got the Costco pricing".

Later on, Costco sent me an on-line survey about my experience with the Costco Auto Program. I Said I had concerns and wasn't sure if I had really gotten the Costco pricing. Costco called me about a week later and I explained everything related to the sale and even emailed them the sales invoice.

About 2 months later and many conversations with Costco, they sent me a refund check for $4000. We never expected to get anything back, let alone that amount. Granted it had taken a while, but Costco called me about every 2 weeks to let me know they were still researching my questions. This really proved to me that Costco really stands behind their programs and didn't just brush aside my concerns.

I hope this helps folks not to take whatever the dealer tells you as the honest and truthful.

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Hopefully Costco somehow was able to recover the $4000 from that dealer! Good outcome as Costco stood up for you. From the description of the negotiations with the dealer about the car it isn't clear that Costco was even directly involved but obviously was somehow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Right now, costco’s price is $1950 under so called invoice for 2017 hybrid, plus toyota’s promotion($3000 cash back?)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts