Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Discount Tire for a free flat repair this morning. While there I asked what kind of deal he could make with 4 new PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS tires along with five new TPMS sensors, and all extras involved. This is for two cars, mine and my gal.

The gent came up with a decent* price and mentioned that the rebate ended this week so time was a factor. *When I say decent that means in today's tire prices, not what I was used to paying years ago. It was still shocking to this old bird.

Our OEM tires were almost down to the wear bars which was no big deal if we still lived in deep South Texas as it almost never even gets cold. Where we live now icing in winter is normal as is some snow along with serious cold temperatures.

I thought it rater stupid to risk our first winter here with sketchy tires so I went for it. Having a 0% interest credit card until June of 2018 helped sway the decision.

My gal came to pick me up and it wasn't but an hour later I got the call....it was ready, really? WOW! We went to pick it up and after getting home I realized I forgot to ask how to get the rebate offered. I was told it ended at the end of this week. They should have offered this info upfront frankly but didn't, no biggie.

I called & spoke to the manager of the store and he gave me instructions to go online to their website or Pirelli and file for it. Well, I did that and found out the rebate expired YESTERDAY! I was pissed because that rebate offset the road hazard warranty (it's saved me in the past) that I paid for. I called the manager back, explained that his employee told me it expired at the end of the week and we had to hustle to qualify for it.

Being a hotheaded Aries I was ready to do battle with this 6' 5" 300+ lb manager face to face. He made it so simple.......he checked & admitted it was expired, his employee was incorrect, and when we brought her car in tomorrow for the same tires etc. that he would take $60 off of her bill and mine as well.

I went instantly calm and thanked him profusely after confirming he would be there tomorrow. Everything solved. I couldn't ask for more than that.

I only drove the car home from there but I did notice a few things......it was indeed quieter than before, steering effort was lighter, and turn in is immediate; understeer is all but eliminated. Pleased so far but far from enough miles to evaluate properly. PSI at my request is 35 for the 4 on the ground, 40 for the spare, all confirmed.

Thanks for reading the short novel.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
Sounds like you got a good deal on a great set of tires. I never have a tire buying experience that nice. I always feel like I'm getting ripped off. Last time I got a good estimate for the Bridgestone Ecopia SUV tires, and I didn't notice until I got home they had bait and switched me the cheaper Ecopia sedan tires. I didn't feel like fighting them over it, but I'll never go back to that place.

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The next day it was her car's turn for the same treatment but it did not go as smoothly.
First off they did not call us when the car was ready, I had to call them. On her way home the low tire light came on. I found this out once we got home and called them. She needed her car for Dr.'s appointments the next day so I took it right back up there. Turns out that none of the new TPMS sensors were communicating with the car.......the guy that installed them did not check them, the same twit that didn't call us. They figured out that they were incorrectly labeled and not pre-programmed for her car. They had no more and would have to order them.

Solution was to use generic sensors (or wait another day) which they can program at the store so it's start all over again.....remove five wheels, dismount the tires, install sensors & program, re balance, and back on the car.

So it was a series of screw ups and parts that didn't work. I wasn't ill about it, stuff happens. I wasn't pleased either but they took the guy in the office and read him the riot act. Both the store manager and assistant manager were aware of all that went down including two regional honchos (suits) that were at the store.

This all took up about five hours as opposed to the one hour needed for my car. After all was said and done I got home about 5:15 after dropping the car off @ 11AM that morning. That gin & tonic tasted mighty good.

While sipping on that I was looking at her receipt. Her name is not spelled correctly, the mileage shown on the car is off by 100,000+ miles, and the old sensors are listed not the generic ones they eventually used. I'm sure they'll be glad to see me this morning when I go back to get that corrected.

To quote Captain Picard, "Sometimes, Number One you just have to bow to the absurd." :)

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep...what a difference a day can make, eh? From fabulous to FUBAR in 24 hours.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
Now, THAT sounds more like one of my tire buying experiences!

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was a decent deal in spite of things that went awry. We are both extremely pleased with the way our cars behave with the new tires.

The shocker was that the cost for just my car was $6.00 more than my monthly social security check!!! OUCH!

I remember putting four recap bias ply tires on my '65 Mercury station wagon for about $60 with balancing. They lasted 20K miles and I never even had a flat. Those days are LONG GONE.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Yep...what a difference a day can make, eh? From fabulous to FUBAR in 24 hours.

What a lot of super screw-ups! Hopefully it's all OK now, but people shouldn't have to go through all of that. After having lived in Europe where we experienced fewer such experiences we have been sometimes been exasperated. The major exception was GM Europe aka Vauxhall, which was completely incompetent!

I sometimes feel that the U.S. is descending into "Third World" status.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Went to Discount Tire for a free flat repair this morning. While there I asked what kind of deal he could make with 4 new PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS tires along with five new TPMS sensors, and all extras involved. This is for two cars, mine and my gal.
Anyone else here running these? I have about 6,000 miles on my set and so far am very pleased.

Curious though as to why you went all-season as opposed to dedicated summer tire. Do you travel with the vehicle into snow areas?

Good luck with them, and, what a story...wow.

-kj-

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Curious though as to why you went all-season as opposed to dedicated summer tire. Do you travel with the vehicle into snow areas?
I thought that tire choice made better sense. The area we live in now is above Dallas and to the northeast 35-45 miles. Some snow & ice are common here in winter unlike when we lived in Brownsville TX.....it might get to 40º F down there.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sounds like an excellent choice. As I said I'm very happy with my set so far.

Best, kj

·
Super Moderator
11,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't had the opportunity to check MPG yet but everything else is absolutely a positive with these new tires. Today we went to the booze store which is about 30 miles each way. There's only one road to get there and we've taken it many times. :)

There are newly surfaced areas that are (were) extremely loud @ 70 MPH. Today we could talk in a normal voice instead of hollering. There is also no question these tires offer a softer ride than the originals. The same bumps and jolts that we became accustomed to are now minor & barely noticeable. Admittedly the old ones had 23K-24K on them but they were no prize when they were new. These have simply transformed this rough riding buggy into a softer, smoother, good handling critter. The tower strut brace and larger rear anti sway bar I had put on long ago are now really strutting their stuff with the new rubber. Hopefully there's no mileage drop but even if there is I'll consider it well worth it.

I'm putting this info here for the hundreds of 4.3 questions we've had over time concerning "How do I make the ride better?" Here's one way.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Strut Tower Brace? Larger rear sway bar (with poly bushings, I would hope?)

Talk to me...I did those mods on a Pontiac I used to own and they made a world of difference!

Any info is appreciated! (In the Mechanical forum...lol)

-kj-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts