Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2009 Rav4 (Basic) has had all the recalls done on it. I'm the original owner and it has approx 120,000k mostly highway and city driving. There has been only occasional gravel road driving.

Got the snow tires removed and the tire company observed the following and provided a quote:
Replace: CONTROL ARM AND BALL JOINT ASSEMBLY (LOWER)
Replace: STRUTS

I have no idea about the mechanical workings of the Rav4 but was wondering would all the suspension recalls (and crappy fixes of epoxy) have anything to do with this? The truck has not been driven roughly and just wondering if the recommendation for struts seems reasonable. Also is the lower control arm and ball joint the same thing that Toyota has been trying to fix on the recalls?:confused:

I couldn't find anything already posted and answered on the forum, so your advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks muchly!

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
The items they recommend replacing are on the front not the rear where the recall was performed. With almost 75,000 miles they would be understandably worn but DO get another opinion as vanib says above.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
OP has a '09 4.3 but this thread was started in the 4.4 forum. Maybe a moderator can move it to the correct forum.

Reactions: RTexasF

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
OOPS, Sorry for the misplacement.

Thanks to everyone for their responses!
It's fine, I moved it to the correct forum.

In my opinion, if the RAV drives well for you and there isn't any abnormal tire wear on the front, I would assume the tire shop was just looking for a way to increase their profits.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Do i simple test, jack up front, whichever side is in question, grab wheel with both hands on twelve oclock and shake it in/out with force. See if there is play in it or clanking noise. Then do the same with six oclock. Inspect strut for leakage. JuneBug is correct, if there is no issues driving, such as steering wheel shake, clanking noise on the bumpy roads or when you breaking, i doubt that something is wrong with your vehicle. They are probably after your wallet :)

Here`s two little stories for you, from my personal experiences:
1. 2000 Celica was recalled for tension pulley, it was about 10k on it.. i brought it in, they replace the pulley under warranty, then service manager says to me - your rear breaks are shot.. I am like, really? Yup, he says, they really thin, much much thinner then front pads. I got pissed off - First of all, i brought car for pulley recall, second of all, did you notice it`s only 10k on the car, third of all, rear pads ARE much thinner then front ones.

2. 2004 4Runner, tire pressure light came on, wont go off. Told my wife to take to the dealer and have it checked, under warranty. Then i get a call... They want 460 dollars.. I am like for what? Well, they said that because tire pressure was low, it needs to replaced, and re-align front. I am not going to say what i said to service manager here, at the risk of being banned :D
P.S. as i found out later on, they reset the TPMS and light was off for a day, then came on again. Lost of pressure was in spare, i just didn`t know spare might have a sensor...
As you see, unfortunately, honesty is not common.

Everyone is correct, get a second opinion from other place.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
I agree with JuneBug. If there isn't any abnormal front tire wear I would ignore the shop's "recommendations." Also if it were my RAV I would refuse any recall or repair which uses epoxy on suspension components.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It's like going to a lube shop for an oil change... then they tell you to replace your transmission fluid, coolant, and your windshield washer fluid (lol), "we do it all here for you" :p

·
Super Moderator
11,102 Posts
OP has a '09 4.3 but this thread was started in the 4.4 forum. Maybe a moderator can move it to the correct forum.
Thanks, I missed that completely. I'll go take my meds now.......:doh:

·
Registered
53 Posts
In my opinion, a second opinion is indeed in order. Talk to some of your friends about where they get there repairs done. A lot of the chains Cdn. Tyre included, seem to be in the business of selling parts. Small independent shops can be a better choice, but finding a good one can be a problem. I take everything any shop that has a service writer (adviser) with a grain of salt. Talk to the mechanic and have him show you and explain why it is a problem. Any shop that won't let you do this, should raise a red flag. Capable mechanics are proud of their work and are more then happy to let you know how good they are. They want your business for a long time.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I think every shop that sells tires and also sells shocks and struts will make this comment. I'm beginning to think their work order sheets come pre-printed with that information! I had a tire balance done about 2 weeks after replacing the rear shocks and they told me I needed new shocks! I told them they hadn't even bothered to look at them (they were the only shiny things under the car) and that they had just destroyed my trust and I would never be back.
Definitely get a second opinion or more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In my opinion, a second opinion is indeed in order. Talk to some of your friends about where they get there repairs done. A lot of the chains Cdn. Tyre included, seem to be in the business of selling parts. Small independent shops can be a better choice, but finding a good one can be a problem. I take everything any shop that has a service writer (adviser) with a grain of salt. Talk to the mechanic and have him show you and explain why it is a problem. Any shop that won't let you do this, should raise a red flag. Capable mechanics are proud of their work and are more then happy to let you know how good they are. They want your business for a long time.
Yes absolutely the time to start looking for an independent mechanic but you are correct, its really hard. The economy in this city is in the tank, so lots of businesses just hanging on or trying to drum up new business. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts