Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2022 RAV4 Prime XSE (Blueprint)
47 Posts
I love the big climate control knobs in my Prime. Sad to see those go. That seems to be the norm in newer EVs as well ... buttons instead of tactile knobs.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sheesh. The big control knobs are just about the only thing I like about the R4P's controls. Everything else is just stupidly arranged, with the buttons being some combination of too small, too close to each other, too hard to reach, and in the case of the 2021 door switches and overhead light switch, not illuminated.

And don't get me started on how slow and unresponsive the touchscreen is. If they move climate controls to the touchscreen (which they absolutely should not do), they had better invest in MUCH better/faster touch screen technology.

But it does look like the buttons on the steering wheel might be arranged better in the new version than the current version. The current round cruise control button is just ridiculous - I don't know how many times I've attempted to adjust the speed up or down and ended up fat-fingering it to turn it off entirely. It's so unreliable that I've had to get used to positioning my foot above the accelerator whenever I make cc adjustments so that I can avoid sudden slowdowns if I accidentally turn it off. In the new version I also like the large "voice" button, which I use a lot to press-and-hold to talk to my buddy Google. The other steering wheel buttons all seem larger and more prominent, too.

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD Blizzard Pearl
800 Posts
Someone here posted recently an article from Australia (I think?) that seemed to allude that the 2023 Rav4 would be getting the new infotainment system like the BZ4X and possibly TSS 2.5/3.0.

Nothing has been confirmed in NA yet to my knowledge though.

I know a lot of these car reviewers knock Toyota's "older" style infotainment found in our current Rav4's but I really like the system in my 2020 Rav4, I find it very easy to use while driving with the dedicated physical buttons. Sure the graphics may look a little dated and not as flashy as other cars, but it gets the job done with minimal attention required from the driver. Once you have the muscle memory of where things are you can operate many of the physical buttons, switches and knobs without even removing your eyes from the road.

These gigantic touch screens are the future in Toyotas it seems, but I really hope they reevaluate in their next generational tech version to include some dedicated buttons again, instead of forcing the driver to take their eyes off the road and adjust their eyes to focus on a touchscreen-only interface (that may or may not have sun glare all over it).

Just my 2 🌮's

Edit: Found the article 2023 Toyota RAV4 update due this October with tech overhaul – report

Toyota NA updated their press room with articles for similar upgrades to the 23 Venza and Highlander, so a RAV4 announcement is probably forthcoming soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in agreement with the first few post. Before I bought mine. All the reviews complained about the infotainment system. Now that I have its the one item I love. Simple, works, big knobs.... Newer system are great if your not actually driving!

·
Registered
2022 Toyota RAV4 Prime
182 Posts
I just want a Venza Prime. Is that too much to ask Toyota? It’ll literally cost you about nothing to do it since the Venza shares about everything but sheet metal and the dash/console with the RAV4.

As for that new ginormous infotainment system. I like it, but as others have said I prefer giant HVAC knobs an in general more old fashioned radio and HVAC controls. When I buy an EV pickup I know I’ll have to deal with this unless the RAM EV keeps a similar to current HVAC setup in the lower half of trims—doubt it. I hate the move to tablet / touch button only controls.

·
Registered
2021 R4P XSE
28 Posts
ditto on liking the old climate control knobs! Someone's gonna have a accident trying to adjust temperature or fan with too many small buttons.

I like some of the new 2023 exterior colors, like the dark bluish-green and the forest green!
I really don't care for the colorful interior colors, like the red and green, just all a bit too garish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Someone here posted recently an article from Australia (I think?) that seemed to allude that the 2023 Rav4 would be getting the new infotainment system like the BZ4X and possibly TSS 2.5/3.0.

Nothing has been confirmed in NA yet to my knowledge though.

I know a lot of these car reviewers knock Toyota's "older" style infotainment found in our current Rav4's but I really like the system in my 2020 Rav4, I find it very easy to use while driving with the dedicated physical buttons. Sure the graphics may look a little dated and not as flashy as other cars, but it gets the job done with minimal attention required from the driver. Once you have the muscle memory of where things are you can operate many of the physical buttons, switches and knobs without even removing your eyes from the road.

These gigantic touch screens are the future in Toyotas it seems, but I really hope they reevaluate in their next generational tech version to include some dedicated buttons again, instead of forcing the driver to take their eyes off the road and adjust their eyes to focus on a touchscreen-only interface (that may or may not have sun glare all over it).

Just my 2 🌮's

Edit: Found the article 2023 Toyota RAV4 update due this October with tech overhaul – report

Toyota NA updated their press room with articles for similar upgrades to the 23 Venza and Highlander, so a RAV4 announcement is probably forthcoming soon.

RAV4 will get an interior electronic makeover for 2023 guaranteed. Announced this week officially for Highlander and the Lexus UX. Every Toyota will have it by 2023 it looks like. Thankfuly. The current RAV4 dash is way behind all competitors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just want a Venza Prime. Is that too much to ask Toyota? It’ll literally cost you about nothing to do it since the Venza shares about everything but sheet metal and the dash/console with the RAV4.

As for that new ginormous infotainment system. I like it, but as others have said I prefer giant HVAC knobs an in general more old fashioned radio and HVAC controls. When I buy an EV pickup I know I’ll have to deal with this unless the RAM EV keeps a similar to current HVAC setup in the lower half of trims—doubt it. I hate the move to tablet / touch button only controls.
Venza Prime rumored for next year.

·
Registered
Silver R4P XSE, Weather Package
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It seems this new platform is being tested in the Lexus NX and the Toyota Tundra. With so many people complaining about the screen resolution, the backup camera and the 360 camera, it feels like this is the way Toyota is addressing market demand. Most other manufacturers are doing away with knobs and buttons. There are none on our cell phones. Our cell phones don't even have the old earphone jack anymore. I trust we will get used to it and be thankful for over-the-air updates and added features. There will remain steering wheel buttons for many option changes while moving. Putting the HVAC system on Auto should take care of climate concerns.
I'm very happy with my 2021 Prime. I wish I had the updated headlights and interior LED lights from the factory (I installed mine after market). I suspect the R4P will only keep getting better and better, though never perfect for everyone. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
RAV4 will get an interior electronic makeover for 2023 guaranteed. Announced this week officially for Highlander and the Lexus UX. Every Toyota will have it by 2023 it looks like. Thankfuly. The current RAV4 dash is way behind all competitors.
Yeah I think you are probably right. They also announced that the 2023 Venza will have the new infotainment system this week. We are waiting on a Prime at the moment and wish it had the new infotainment system. I would wait for the 2023 but it would be too late to take advantage of the $7,500 tax incentive.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I love the big climate control knobs in my Prime. Sad to see those go. That seems to be the norm in newer EVs as well ... buttons instead of tactile knobs.
I have driven cars with climate control operation buried in touchscreen menu's and I couldn't get used to it. I just want physical buttons for climate and volume.
It's getting ridiculous that in some cars you have to use the touchscreen to change the speed of the wipers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts