Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I paid for my brand new Rav4 Hybrid Limited (Gray/Black) with ATP and this morning I went to pick it up (arrived from a dealer swap last night). While checking it out I tried to open the hatch and it did not work! :mad: Spent a long time with the different sales guys then eventually the service department, and they couldn't get it working! Said there were multiple codes showing up and could be a defective motor. Had to leave there in a rental car. :crying

Anyone else had issues with the hatch on their new 2016 Rav4 Hybrid? Hopefully, that is my one glitch with the car and it will be smooth sailing once I actually get to take her home.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Sorry to hear that Trihard. After owning 8 Toyota trucks in a row and experiencing the quality and customer service I am willing to bet the dealer will make it right. Great luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm sorry to say this but I'm glad you also have the same issue, so I know I dont have a lemon. They ordered new struts for me now, but it is on back order. It's horrible as they are not even sure if that is the issue. It is better that you didnt pick up the car yet. Toyota is telling me that the non working hatch isn't an issue to complain about since the car is still drivable, so they cannot escalte. The issue I am having, is that the trunk space is very important in my family as we have a stroller for our 1 year old, and the new hatch is really hard to open with the motor fighting against you. So at least you don't have to drive around with a broken part.

Good luck, hopefully you will get your car soon, I'm still waiting on the part...

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is ridiculous that Toyota cannot fix a hatch issue. I would not be happy at all, I also have to lug around a baby stroller. Tell your dealer to take parts from another 2016 Rav4 that is sitting on the lot for sale. I hope Toyota figures this out really soon for you guys.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This sounds very similar to my recent experience. I was scheduled to pick up a 2016 RAV4 Hybrid from my local dealer but that morning I received a call telling me that I couldn't pick up the vehicle due to a recall involving the rear hatch. A short time later I received another call saying that I could pick up the vehicle but the rear hatch wouldn't operate until a part was replaced. I passed on the deal.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Surprised about MIJ (Japan) quality. We picked up our Hybrid Limited on January 16 and I think we've used the back door at least half a dozen times and it works without a hitch.

We didn't bother changing the height setting.

Hopefully, it's all the same issue that can be fixed in a jiffy. That is a turn off -- delays, outright issues, not unless they offer $500 off. :)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I'm sorry to say this but I'm glad you also have the same issue, so I know I dont have a lemon. They ordered new struts for me now, but it is on back order. It's horrible as they are not even sure if that is the issue..
This from the person who jammed his hatch door into some cargo and broke it? :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm sorry to say this but I'm glad you also have the same issue, so I know I dont have a lemon. They ordered new struts for me now, but it is on back order. It's horrible as they are not even sure if that is the issue..
This from the person who jammed his hatch door into some cargo and broke it?
so if your hatch closed on something and it stopped working? I should be blamed for breaking it? even though the hatch has jam protection? Just wondering if I am supposed to always know if the hatch will close 100% when trying to fit things in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is ridiculous that Toyota cannot fix a hatch issue. I would not be happy at all, I also have to lug around a baby stroller. Tell your dealer to take parts from another 2016 Rav4 that is sitting on the lot for sale. I hope Toyota figures this out really soon for you guys.
I've asked, but they said they normally would do it, but since this part is on back order, they don't want to have one of their dealer cars be without a hatch for that long.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Since you haven't drove the vehicle off the lot yet. can't you just ask for another vehicle with the same trim level and options. just saying.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: I was able to get my car back today! They had to replace the rear hatch electronics and all is now working fine. Yay!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Since you haven't drove the vehicle off the lot yet. can't you just ask for another vehicle with the same trim level and options. just saying.
I agree ask for a replacement vehicle. You are not obligated to buy this vehicle or wait until they get the parts. I spent 47 years in the dealership environment and may times we swapped parts or vehicles for a new car sale. Insist on them resolving this problem or cancel the deal and go somwhere else.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update: I was able to get my car back today! They had to replace the rear hatch electronics and all is now working fine. Yay!
can you ask the dealer if possible which parts were replaced, it would be helpful so I can forward it to my dealer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was the "r/r back door panel and back door ECU', which included part # 68920-49065 the unit assy. power and 89222-0R020 computer multipl.

The guy said they called Toyota central and spoke with a head tech guy who was familiar with this and knew what needed replacing.

Good luck!

Regards,
--David

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
It was the "r/r back door panel and back door ECU', which included part # 68920-49065 the unit assy. power and 89222-0R020 computer multipl.

The guy said they called Toyota central and spoke with a head tech guy who was familiar with this and knew what needed replacing.

Good luck!

Regards,
--David
Glad to hear they got it fixed! FYI, a quick search on those parts show online dealer prices of $485.41 and $232.05 respectively.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts