Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 RAV4 and am experiencing the "check engine" light coming on. The "stealership" charged me $140.00 to replace a gas cap (I know, I know) and the "check engine" light was back on this morning. Took it back and they apologized for misdiagnosing it but now it's the charcoal canister. I've read that I can give it some time (and not fill the tank past the click - which I've been doing.........I know, I know) that it will "dry out" or evaporate and should be okay. Any truth to that or do I "bite the bullet" have the canister replace and faithfully NOT overfill the tank? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Where are you driving? The issues I've seen here for the last few years usually involve driving in snow, slush or heavy rain.

Neither do I believe that filling or even overfilling the tank has anything to do with canister problems. Maybe filling to the tippy top with cold gas and parking 50 feet from the pump in hot weather, but not any normal click-off filling.

There are several canister threads you may search before leaving your credit card with the dealer. In any case an apology w/o a refund wouldn't get them any more of my business.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I believe that I would demand a refund for the money spent on the mis-diagnosis, return their installed gas cap, get my old gas cap back, and find another dealer or shop. And the dealer's new diagnosis and item replacement is much more expensive to carry out than was their first one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts