Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Ive got a 2008 Rav4, 4cyl, 4wd automatic, with 142k miles on it.

Recently the doors aren't being able to lock via the key nor the button on the door. When I press it on the remote it just beeps and when i press it on the door it locks but quickly unlocks.

Ive noticed that the door light indicator on the instrument cluster is staying on and so is the dome lights when in the "door" position.

Ive tested all the single wire door switches (five of them) and they all come back good along with all fuses.

Where do I go from here? I'm currently having to park the car "unlocked" because of this situation.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hey guys!

When I press it on the remote it just beeps and when i press it on the door it locks but quickly unlocks.

Ive noticed that the door light indicator on the instrument cluster is staying on and so is the dome lights when in the "door" position.
When door light indicator stays "ON" would indicate "door open". I'd test all door switches to see which is faulty to start. With all doors closed, open one door at a time and manually press door switch. Good luck.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Like I said, "I've tested the switches on all doors"
How did you do your test? Guess there's no response from door open indicator light. If all switches are OK, I'd suspect a stuck relay. Cannot tell you which one. Not familiar with your car.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,892 Posts
Like I said, "I've tested the switches on all doors"
Even the rear cargo door? Check for a missing rubber stopper on the door that contacts the switch.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
They said they tested all 5 doors, which would include the back door.

However, testing the switches would not reveal a problem if the door isn't making the proper contact with the switch, which may be the case if there is a rubber stopper missing from the rear door, or something like that.

Also, they didn't mention how the switches were tested.

Maybe try taping down all 5 switches at the same time and see if the system thinks all the doors are closed? If so, it's probably a physical issue like JuneBug mentioned.

Then untape one at a time, close its door and see which one is incorrectly reporting the door is open.

It may be worth a try, at any rate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As in testing the switches I've

- opened and closed all doors repeatedly
- taken all switches off (all 5) and tested their resistances with an ohm meter. (All worked out okay)

Where exactly is the door switch relay? Didn't see anything on the cover of any of the fuse box lids

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,892 Posts
As in testing the switches I've

- opened and closed all doors repeatedly
- taken all switches off (all 5) and tested their resistances with an ohm meter. (All worked out okay)

Where exactly is the door switch relay? Didn't see anything on the cover of any of the fuse box lids
There is NO door switch relay. The switches connect directly to the body ECU. Did you verify that the round rubber plug that contacts the rear cargo door switch is in place???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts