Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where i can get a latch to secure the spare cover.
it only comes with this elastic black piece that just goes over the spare tire?...I want to know if there's a lock and key we can get to secure it
so that no one can rip it off. i know the manual's have it.

Post or please pm me. Thank's

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you find one pm me, I just bought my base model today and the first thing my ride said to me was" that spare tire cover is so sharp, someone is going to steal it". I am going to work on adding some gromets so I can put a cable lock if I can't find anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's lock in the sense that the latch hits the rear bumper if you try to open it. You have to open the rear door to be able to open the latch without hitting the bumper. So if your car is locked the rear door won't open and the cover can't be removed. Someone could scratch things up a bit if they try though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
CTRav said:
It's lock in the sense that the latch hits the rear bumper if you try to open it. You have to open the rear door to be able to open the latch without hitting the bumper. So if your car is locked the rear door won't open and the cover can't be removed. Someone could scratch things up a bit if they try though.
ahhh i see now. thx

·
Registered
63 Posts
Waxing my car the other day I noticed my latch not clipped on. I was able to clip the latch on without opening the rear door. It was a little tight but if I were a betting man I would bet I could open that with my fingers with the door closed. I didn't think nothing of it being a security feature type lock. Ima try and open it later. I hope I can't.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even if the latch won't open with the door shut, it still doesn't seem like much of a security feature since it really isn't that substantial. If someone wants your spare, they can bust that latch off with the other end of the tire iron that they certainly have with them.

I'm not worried about mine getting stolen, but if I was, I'm pretty sure I'd need more than the latch to make me feel comfortable.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
then put a wheel lock on the spare. Problem solved :)

ppuder said:
Even if the latch won't open with the door shut, it still doesn't seem like much of a security feature since it really isn't that substantial. If someone wants your spare, they can bust that latch off with the other end of the tire iron that they certainly have with them.

I'm not worried about mine getting stolen, but if I was, I'm pretty sure I'd need more than the latch to make me feel comfortable.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree 100% about the wheel lock. My point was just to discourage use of the latch as a security feature for those that were worried about it.

I'm thinking about putting an angry badger inside my spare cover -- I figure that'll do it too. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts