Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, love my '07 Limited. Noticed water on the passenger floor after a rainstorm, searched, saw the TSB http://rav4world.com/tsb/2006/BO021-06.pdf and decided to have the repair done last month out of warranty. Discovered yesterday that the issue remains, looks the same as it did last time it rained hard:

Calling the dealership today. Any advice for me?

I know water leaks are a PITA to diagnose and fix, and I am afraid now that they will claim it is another issue and want $$$ to try and fix it.

Thanks, kj

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Hi, love my '07 Limited. Noticed water on the passenger floor after a rainstorm, searched, saw the TSB http://rav4world.com/tsb/2006/BO021-06.pdf and decided to have the repair done last month out of warranty. Discovered yesterday that the issue remains, looks the same as it did last time it rained hard:

Calling the dealership today. Any advice for me?

I know water leaks are a PITA to diagnose and fix, and I am afraid now that they will claim it is another issue and want $$$ to try and fix it.

Thanks, kj
I assume they checked the AC drain?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure, but why would the AC drain be involved? Car sat for days, dry. Heavy rain, leak appears. Is there a connection I'm not seeing? And I thought the AC drain issue was a driver side thing?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Not sure, but why would the AC drain be involved? Car sat for days, dry. Heavy rain, leak appears. Is there a connection I'm not seeing? And I thought the AC drain issue was a driver side thing?
Agree about the rain, but just thought I'd toss that in there. The AC drain, at least on my 2010, is on the passenger side. Trust me.....I know!!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
It could be leaking from the edge of the windshield. Was the windshield ever replaced?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had mine done many years back by Toyota but after about a year, the issue returns. The water is entering from the air intake vents for the cabin. To fix it myself, I took the whole cowl vents apart. You will see another piece that looks like a funnel ( it is to keep splash of water coming directly into the vent from entering the air intake.) That piece is held on by a few molded plastic clips. Foam strip around the bottom of that piece help seal and keeps water away from that area as they runs down toward the drain at the end of the cowl vents. Replace those foam strip with any kind of weather-stripping compressible foam strip and remount that parts. It should take care of the problem for a few years until those foam start to harder and losses it ability to seal the area. I did mine about 4 years ago and had not had any water leak to date. Cause of the leak is water getting pass those foam strip ( harden in some area) and then pooling inside and unable to drain out until it overflow into the air intake.

I also did another mod by using some aluminum foil tape and building up the splash guard. It reduces the amount of air coming in but that was just an extra over build.

I hope this works for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts