Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the V6 there is a cover the width of the engin compartment, over the top of the radiator that is held in place by about 8 "snap in" plastic plugs. I pushed the center button of these plugs in to remove them to be able to remove the cover. But the button won't pop back up to push these plugs back into place to hold the cover down again. Anyone have any ideas as to how to do it?

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
They have to be removed and reset before they can be reused. I learned how when I removed them to install aftermarket horns.

Tim

·
Registered
379 Posts
They are a bit difficult to remove but if you are able to get a needle nose pliers on the part that expands and squeeze it forcing in through the hole you will be able to remove/reuse the snaps. They ain't cheap either to replace. $1.74 EACH at the car dealer.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
This doesn't seem logical but do the following

Spread the bottom prongs OUT and push them back up the fastner

you will see that the button is now back above the top of the fastner

put the fastner back in the hole and press the button down flush.

NO TOOLS REQUIRED :doh:

The pictorial of this instruction is on page 383 of the Owners Manual

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It worked !

Thanks to all. I spread the tabs apart with my fingers and the center button did exactly what you said it would do. I didn't even think about looking in the manual, figuring that something like that wouldn't even be shown....

Thanks

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Re: It worked !

MoonRav4 said:
Thanks to all. I spread the tabs apart with my fingers and the center button did exactly what you said it would do. I didn't even think about looking in the manual, figuring that something like that wouldn't even be shown....

Thanks
Kind of neat how it works..

Not the most intuitive device though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts