Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The crack started from the base of the windshield's right side, right from within the deicing patterns.

I went to dealer, he checked with his pencil, we agreed it could be the deicer/defroster.

He said however it's not covered by standard warranty but if I would buy and install a new one with them it'd be covered for the lifetime of the vehicle.

It seems a little bit strange that original warranty wouldn't cover this, but aftermarket replacements will. Any idea why it's so? What else falls into the same category?

Finally, the fissure completely extended to the left side, terminating again at the base of the windshield, it traveled all the way within 2 inches from bottom. It seems to have settled now, at least it didn't budge for the past 2 weeks. Is it safe to keep my windshield this way? I would replace it, it's just that it doesn't bother me too much, the fissure is really very fine, you'd have to pay attention to see it from outside.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here in New Hampshire, USA, the car would fail our annual state inspection and/or police would ticket for it. That said, most people here have no deductible insurance coverage for glass and glass companies will come to us to do the work, so replacing it is a no-brainer. If you don't care about it and you are not breaking any laws, there's no pressing need to replace it.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I do not know Canadian law, so bear with me. Here in Minnesota the insurer is required by law to fully reimburse for defective, cracked or broken windshields. Before I moved here I would first visit my insurance guy, and he usually covered it minus deductible.

Good luck. I would replace it.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Check with your insurance company and see if you can get coverage. Maybe a very small rock help start the crack and spread. You got nothing to loose. Some insurance company do not even look at the windshield and just send you to their authorized repair shops.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
for my insurance, just calling an asking a question about this, would results in the same thing as a non responsible claim, the first one is free, but if you get a second one in the next 3 years, your premiums will go up.... (In my case since we have 2 cars under the same policy, we never claim for glass and pay out of pocket)

Reactions: vbx

·
Registered
244 Posts
Most glass cracks in winter are formed by smaller existing cracks, mostly done by small stones hitting the windshield while driving.
Fast heating a cold windshield in winter time results in a high pressure on the windshield, and there's your big crack.

In The Netherlands you have standard insurances also covering all glass damage of the car. Just go to a specilised car glass repair/replacement company, and they do all the work including the small insurance part. This costs nothing extra and won't affect your insurance premium.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
for my insurance, just calling an asking a question about this, would results in the same thing as a non responsible claim, the first one is free, but if you get a second one in the next 3 years, your premiums will go up.... (In my case since we have 2 cars under the same policy, we never claim for glass and pay out of pocket)
So why not make a claim on the first time and if it happens again in the next three years ask if your rate will go up. If the insurance say yes then don't make another glass claim until it doesn't affect your rate. Or if the rate will increase on a second claim switch company. Those insurance company will raise your rate for no reason anyways so why not get back something you paid into.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
vbx, I had the same exact crack pattern.
Although I originally blamed the de-icer or warm vent air, I later realized that the starting point of the crack was due to my fault; I took off the wiper blade and let go of the metal arm on the windshield a day earlier.
That initial shock was enough to cause a minor crack which expanded exactly like yours within 10 minutes of heating the windshield.

I would say that the glass was compromised from before. Check the glass hidden under the plastic if you want (the lower part); it might actually have been damaged from there.

It should cost about $300 to fix. I am not sure if the 4.3 RAV4 glass is acoustic glass but, after I had new windshield installed, I immediately felt that the RAV was way louder. The brand that was installed on mine is Pilkington. Ask for PPG if you can; maybe they are better.

I would also advise that you check for glass distortion BEFORE it is installed. Mine has none but it is very common to have some distortion, especially towards tbe bottom; I would ask for another windshield.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
Here in Louisiana the car will fail inspection only if the crack is in the driver's immediate field of vision. So with this type of crack, it would still pass.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I asked the insurer (meloche-monnex td) they say they only pay after the 500 franchise. I got quoted at lebeau (glass-replacing/fixing commerce) around 600$. I am thinking of paying the whole cost in this case.

Not sure whether illegal, I might stop and ask a policeman, it doesn't bother me at all so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
$600 is way too much. Please shop around; It should be around $300.
check the Yellow pages and 4 or 5 shops; most of these shops have mobile units who will come to your home or work and get it done within 45 minutes.

BTW, did you check the windshield on the outside? The impact might be on the lower portion that you do not see from the inside.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
$600 is way too much. Please shop around; It should be around $300.
check the Yellow pages and 4 or 5 shops; most of these shops have mobile units who will come to your home or work and get it done within 45 minutes.

BTW, did you check the windshield on the outside? The impact might be on the lower portion that you do not see from the inside.

If there was no impact that the dealer could see I assume it's too small to be seen. However, as it seems this is in no way covered by Toyota standard warranty (again, dealer dixit), it doesn't really matter.

The strangest thing about this is the following:

A few years back I drove for a few hundred meters on the highway, behind a gravel-carrying truck, 2 or more of the falling small rocks hit my windshield so it created these 2 visible (at least for me) very small dots somewhere on the middle of the windshield; no crack or anything, just 2 small punctures on the surface of the glass or what should I call them.

Anyways, I had an accident after that, it resulted in replacing the hood and the right door (the hood also had some minor bruises following same rocks incident). When I got the car back, the minor dots on windshield disappeared so I always assumed they replaced it. It turns out, after my recent visit to the dealership, they never replaced nor fixed anything on windshield, or so they say, looking at the repair invoice. So it's some sort of miracle since those windshield issues disappeared without trace and my memory of it the only witness.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I asked the insurer (meloche-monnex td) they say they only pay after the 500 franchise. I got quoted at lebeau (glass-replacing/fixing commerce) around 600$. I am thinking of paying the whole cost in this case.

Not sure whether illegal, I might stop and ask a policeman, it doesn't bother me at all so far.
LOL! If you stop and ask a cop, he might just pull out his ticket book and start writing. That'll be your answer!>:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For posterity, in Quebec the following law regulates the windshield compliance:

Regulation respecting safety standards for road vehicles, CQLR c C-24.2, r 32, s 60 <http://canlii.ca/t/lfpc#sec60> retrieved on 2016-04-01

and

Highway Safety Code, CQLR c C-24.2, s 265 <http://canlii.ca/t/52jp4#sec265> retrieved on 2016-04-01

·
0 Posts
I have the same problem except a tech at the dealership thinks he sees a discoloured spot where something impacted the windshield. I have had the windshield carefully checked by two different auto glass installers and they both say there is no visible evidence of any impact. Moreover, they have seen it before on a RAV4 and they believe it is caused by the deicer. After two windshield replacements, one owner has unplugged the deicer element. Is Toyota not yet admitting to a defect in these types of cases?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts