Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Cracked windshield glass.

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  RAV4EVR 
#1 ·
This is the second time that the windshield on my RAV 4.2 has cracked due to a flying stone. The first time it was a small crack that was repaired but this time the whole windshield has to be replaced. Any thoughts as to what make windshield I should go for. The Toyotas original costs just as much as the other sorts in the market. Are Tiyota windshield glass that bad or is it just my bad luck. Thanks for your reply in advance. :(

#2 ·
Toyota glass tends to be thin, so it cracks more easily. Any aftermarket glass should be thicker, such as PPG, so ditch the Toyota glass and go for aftermarket.

G
#4 ·
Yeah, my windshield cracked from a REALLY tiny little chip when it was just months old.

Replaced it with PPG glass, which was cheaper than using Toyota glass. The PPG glass has taken lots of little chips to it and has not cracked, despite being exposed to vibration and cold and hot weather and lots of miles.
-PCM

G
#5 ·
In my area north of Boston, a new Toyota windshield for my 04 RAV costs $1480. I was quoted a price of $520 for the PPG glass. I ended up getting the Toyota windshield, and guess what? Another stone chip. Fingers crossed, but so far, this one hasn't cracked yet. If I do end up needing yet ANOTHER windshield, I'll go with PPG. However, in defense of Toyotas' glass, I had all kinds of stuff hit the winshield of my 99 Tacoma, and nary a scratch on the thing. Not sure if the quality of the RAV glass is different, but I'm not spending the extra on the factory glass again.

G
#10 ·
I usually drive far far behind the people in front of me, or I drive really fast switching lanes and what not so that no one's in front of me.

But I had a chip in my old 1999 honda si it never cracked for 3 years.

My Mothers 1998 Tacoma cracked all the time because she lived in Arizona.

G
#12 ·
Give it a break guys

My original windshield lasted 4 years. It cracked because of a big rock. Last time I checked, no manufacturer made "Rock proof" glasses. My aftermarket has been on for two months now. I tried getting original Toyota and I was told that original Toyota was NOT available. I went to a local windshield shop. They told me that only one kind of windshield is available for the RAV4s. It costed me only $120.00 withOUT any insurance coverage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.