Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've searched the forums for a few days now and can not make sense of my problem.

2007 RAV4 Sport 4 cylinder

I was on a short trip to the dump on Sunday. About 1.5 to 2 miles from my house going 55-60 the car dropped to around 1000 RPMs with the pedal at the same spot. I floored it and it jumped up to 2000 RPMs then stalled and I coasted to the side of the road. Now the car cranks but will not start. I called someone and they towed me back to my house to further investigate my problem.

Now that I am home I have removed the 4 coil pack and plugs to find dry plugs. I poured a little gas in each cylinder and it fires up for the time the gas lasts. So I know that I have spark and I just don't have fuel.

When I am in the car right after trying to start it I hear a hum of a motor in the rear of the car. I assume this is the fuel pump and it is running. So it leads me to believe that maybe the fuel filter is clogged.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
It could be a weak fuel pump. It runs, but doesn't produce enough pressure for the injectors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone know if there is an access panel in the 2007 for getting at the fuel pump without dropping the tank that is 1\2 full?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Does anyone know if there is an access panel in the 2007 for getting at the fuel pump without dropping the tank that is 1\2 full?
You need to drop the fuel tank to access the fuel pump. There are access panel but it was only for the Gen1 and 2 models which were located on the floor under the seats.

See this more newer youtube and search "07 Toyota rav4 fuel pump replacement procedure(1)" and part2.

Hit the THANKS button if this was helpful.

·
Super Moderator
10,002 Posts
Especially since I've never heard of a fuel pump failure on a 4.3 I'd run a fuel pressure test before dropping the tank. There is also a fuel pump resistor mounted on the firewall that could cause issues. Thanks for a tip from JuneBug replacing my resistor stopped my pump from making noise but I never had a no-start issue. Anyone need the brand new aftermarket fuel pump that's sitting on my shelf?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the firewall resistor only on the 6 cylinder? I think that is what I remember reading.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Especially since I've never heard of a fuel pump failure on a 4.3 I'd run a fuel pressure test before dropping the tank. There is also a fuel pump resistor mounted on the firewall that could cause issues. Thanks for a tip from JuneBug replacing my resistor stopped my pump from making noise but I never had a no-start issue. Anyone need the brand new aftermarket fuel pump that's sitting on my shelf?
I agree the fuel pump does not fail often and a pressure test should be done because the part itself is very expensive. I would also check the battery because that could cause problems.

·
Super Moderator
10,002 Posts
Is the firewall resistor only on the 6 cylinder? I think that is what I remember reading.
Yes that may be true but it doesn't make sense.

·
Super Moderator
10,002 Posts
I agree the fuel pump does not fail often and a pressure test should be done because the part itself is very expensive. I would also check the battery because that could cause problems.
To avoid the expense of the OEM pump and going by my motto, I bought a $15 one on eBay.
Since the engine cranks over this may be one of the many problems the battery ISN'T causing. :surprise But a quick load test would make sense.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as doing a pressure test on the fuel line do you guys know the best way to do this? I don't see a test port like on other vehicles. I have a fuel pressure gauge for ford. Do you break apart the fuel line right before the rail and rig something up and test from there?

·
Super Moderator
10,002 Posts
I haven't done it on a RAV4 so unless an AP store has a loaner hookup it's a rig-something deal. If there's a return line to the tank it's usually easier to intercept so you might be able to check for flow there, and even max pressure. The return pressure regulator could also cause a problem.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
I don't know if this help but I see a video for a Toyota fuel pressure test that may help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I just ordered a replacement fuel pump and also a filter for the RAV from Amazon. So Saturday is shade tree mechanic time, at least it should be decent weather here in NY.

I would post the links for what I bought but I do not have enough posts to be able to do that.

·
Super Moderator
10,002 Posts
I would post the links for what I bought but I do not have enough posts to be able to do that.
You do now.

I'm betting you'll find something else that's affecting fuel flow when you drop the tank. Please sure and let us know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Filter
Pump

I will update everyone on what I find. Hopefully it can help someone else with the same problems in the future.

Reactions: ravenuer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I cleared a spot in my garage to push the RAV in because the weather is not looking so good for tomorrow now (freezing rain) and the battery is dead and I am unable to put it in neutral. I decided that if I use some jumper wires and my running car that I can get it into neutral, ha ha ha now as soon ad I hook up the cables the car horn starts blaring at me. I tried to do the security unlock with the key but it would not stop. So now I have the battery in the garage charging and the car remains at the end of the driveway.
Good times, the car gods are not liking me today!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts
On the shifter console, you will see a little plastic plug. Pry that out and press down with a key or pen and that will release the shifter so you can put it into Neutral.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So I cleared a spot in my garage to push the RAV in because the weather is not looking so good for tomorrow now (freezing rain) and the battery is dead
So, how old is that now dead battery......suspect, maybe?

if it is the fuel pump and you gotta drop that tank, my advice is buy the best one!

https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-fuel-pump-assembly-2322028090/?c=Zz1mdWVsLXN5c3RlbSZzPWZ1ZWwtc3lzdGVtLWNvbXBvbmVudHMmaT04NDUwNTU1NSZyPTcmYT10b3lvdGEmbz1yYXY0Jnk9MjAwNyZ0PWJhc2UmZT0yLTRsLWw0LWdhcw==

·
Registered
14 Posts
So to update everyone I had a long day dropping the tank. PB blaster and a little time was my friend on the rusty bolts. After I got the jack under the tank with a piece of wood I finished getting the bolts out all but the center strap on the middle of the car 5 of 6 bolts (drive shaft was in the way). I unhooked the filler neck, gas line in front and the evap line. I also took the clips that hold the wire harness off from the far side of the tank (middle of the car). I started to let the jack down slowly expecting gas to go every where it did not. After I got the tank down I cleaned the top with a broom. Lots of dirt and little pebbles on top. I took out the fuel pump assembly and was still waiting for my mail to come (Amazon parts, filter and pump).

I failed to notice the lack of gas in the tank. The mail arrived just in time for when I needed the parts only to find that the pump that was said to fit on Amazon was not going to fit. Then it hit me that the entire time I had trusted the fuel gauge in the car indicating 1/2 tank of gas. I had not realized until this point that the RAV had no gas for the fuel pump that I heard running. So I decided to go ahead and change the filter and not worry about the pump. I had called Napa and it would be $463 and need to be ordered. So I made the decision to get it back together with the original pump that I am sure runs like it should.
Now everything went back together a lot easier then it came apart. Got it all back together and went to the gas station to get 5 gallons the put in the tank. Got in the car, turned the key and bam no power to dash or stater, none of it. Remember how I mentioned the horn in an earlier post! Turns out I fried the 120 amp alternator fuse. I thought it would be easy to change but no!

Well after some research I still have got a little ways to go in getting the fuse changed - it's a bear. I called it a day at this point. Hoping for better luck tomorrow with it.

·
Super Moderator
10,002 Posts
Wow, so you simply ran out of gas :egad:and no one even thought of that possibility.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts