Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Confusing adventure and wait until you fix the fuses. :doh:

By the way the fuel pump you ordered from Amazon looks like a universal fuel pump. They sell for $350 at Rockauto so it was strange that Amazon would sell theirs for just $78. I wonder if the device that measures the gas level (sending unit) was defective in the old fuel pump since your fuel level indicated 1/2 tank of gas? That part sells for around $120. When you ran out of gas the fuel pump may have been damaged.

You mentioned you blew the fuses but did not mention replacing the battery ?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,643 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Okay so I'm all done! Car is running, biggest face palm for this weekend!

It also looks like the fuel gage is working properly now. Maybe shaking the tank around when I had if down made it work again.

Anyways I took a lot of photos of the fuse box as I put it back together so I may do a write up later about changing that fuse.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
By the way this is what I found stuck to the sock before the pump.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't mean to bring this thread back up, basically in the same pickle. I hooked up the battery backwards when I dropped in a rebuilt engine. The engine cranks but does not start... Checked and replaced all fuses, still no go. Sprayed starter fluid and it starts for a bit and then stalls. Removed the suspect engine, and then I put in a working engine to make sure that it should start. Same issue... I looked up videos and forums and everything points to fuel pump. Before removal, I did verify that the injectors were clogged. They spray but I did not test pressure. So, I removed the fuel pump to test and it works... but unsure the pressure is normal or not. I found stuff on the fuel sock as the image above too. I clean it out and put the fuel tank back up with anti-seize just in case. The engine still does not start... I am in the middle of ordering a replacement fuel pump.

Hey GreenGraffix, did the fuel pump replacement work or were you just out of gas?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts