Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this elsewhere, but I think it's more suited here.

I've just acquired a new to me '96, and it came to me throwing a Crankshaft Position Sensor code.

Needless to say, I need to get this fixed ASAP, and I can't afford to pay someone else to fix it. (nor would I, even if I could afford it)

I need some kind of guide to get me going here. I got rid of my 92 Bronco to get this, and I've always been a Ford kind of guy, but I am THRILLED to have this RAV4 to be my daily driver.

Any help to get this running top notch?

Thanks guys!

-Anafiel

·
Registered
109 Posts
First thing to check maybe the cabling to the sensor for damage or disconnection. If you take the RHS front wheel off and remove the access cover you should have quite good access to the sensor location. I think, from memory, the cables run down the side of timing belt cover and may be secured using one of the timing cover bolts. Can't remember if the sensor is visible without removing the lower timing cover though. If you need to remove the lower timing cover this will add a lot more time to the task.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know of any kind of DIY video or article that may help me with this repair? How about a downloadable repair manual that addresses or includes this repair? I don't want to stab in the dark at this thing. I can't afford but one day down time. This is my daily driver.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it seems that the previous owner had already replaced the crankshaft position sensor. I found the old one in a little box under the drivers seat, along with the receipt for the new one. It also looks like the PO was throwing parts at this problem, as the fuel filter is new, air cleaner, plugs, a few new vacuum lines, and it's reported that the fuel pump as also changed.

I get what feels like fuel starvation when the car's warm, and I'm running through the gears. That's when it's at it's worse. I also get the same type of bog down when just cruising. a quick bog down, and then recover, bog, recover.

If I turn the key off, and immediately turn it back on, car runs great for a few minuets. I'm talking about turning off the ignition key for even a split second, and turning it back on without even pushing in the clutch pedal.

Ideas?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I followed the Toyota diagnostics flowchart and I'm been pointed to the distributor for the camshaft position sensor. I have a new dist coming in the mail tomorrow.

If that doesn't solve things, then I'm told by the flowchart to replace the ECM.

Yup...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.