Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Crankshaft pulley needed

My crankshaft pulley started wobbling while driving today and making a loud sound. I was 18 miles away from making 200,000 miles.. :crying

$300.00 parts
$300.00 labor

It is in the shop for a day at minimum. Also getting the accelerator cable changed and all fluids.

$600.00 ... the pleasure of maintaining a classic and not having a car payment ... :D:

Well... bright side... it didn't happen while I was driving in the NorthWest Territories Canada .. next month on way to Gates of the Arctic. (A 11,000 mile round trip).

·
Registered
599 Posts
Ouch!, mechanic knows how to charge!, I did one a while back and it was $170 for the balancer pulley and about an hour fitting.

·
Registered
609 Posts
1aauto.com carries the harmonic balancer for $38 and that includes shipping. An easy project if you have the manual transmission.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All done. New pulley has already been put on.:D

·
Registered
599 Posts
1aauto.com carries the harmonic balancer for $38 and that includes shipping. An easy project if you have the manual transmission.
I think the bit that catches most DIY people is the bolt, and how to remove it, if you do not have a puller and good impact gun its a real pain to attempt.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the bit that catches most DIY people is the bolt, and how to remove it, if you do not have a puller and good impact gun its a real pain to attempt.
No time to play man.
I am leaving soon for a very long month long overland. :D

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yeh fair enough, saw the pics of your last big trip, have fun and stay safe :D. the noble old RAV is a great companion for long runs.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The bolt is only 80 foot-pounds or 108 Newton-meters, easy for a 1/2 inch drive ratchet. the few Toyotas I have done the balancer slid off without a puller, but they are available around here for free rent, at most part stores.

The hard part is if you have an automatic, then you need to devise a brake for the engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Crankshaft Pulley...crooked

The bolt is only 80 foot-pounds or 108 Newton-meters, easy for a 1/2 inch drive ratchet. the few Toyotas I have done the balancer slid off without a puller, but they are available around here for free rent, at most part stores.

The hard part is if you have an automatic, then you need to devise a brake for the engine.
What do you mean devise a brake for the engine? I think I'm having a similar problem with my 1997 4-cylinder Automatic Transmission. The crankshaft pulley is a little crooked and it's throwing my alternator belt off as soon as I start it. I can barely see the other inner belt, and it's getting frayed. AHHH... I dunno what to do. I'll post a picture of what it looks like. I feel like I have to get a puller and realign it, but now I'm worried about what you just mentioned about the 'brake for the engine.'

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Put ur ratchet or longer breaker rachet bar on yer crank bolt
and make sure u have it lock into proper direction then put a snipe on your ratchet so it lengthens ur ratchet or if u have a breaker bar use that
Make sure either tool.handles hit the frame or groubd or something so it cant move or do damage to your vehicle
Just till tool is wedged in some postion in 360 degrees clock wise rotation try not to spin the crank in reverse if posible
The tool should be in locker postion so when u turn the key.for a.secomd or.two it will break the cranshaft bolt.free for you

To assembel Get the pulley holding belt tool looks like a big oil filter wrench with a strap
u put a rag around ur balancer and lock.it in by holding it solid to tighten same process
Even easier if you have a air impact gun
Hope this helps

·
Registered
609 Posts
The crankshaft pulley is actually a harmonic balancer meaning it has two parts that are held together by a rubber bond.
Look in your photo and you can see you need a new one.

When you try to remove the large bolt in the center the bolt is tight enough to turn the crankshaft instead of removing the bolt. With the automatic they often bolt a handle to the pulley to hold the crankshaft, using 2 of the 4 threaded holes in the photo.

I have used the wedge the wrench method, and it often works, I just like a more controlled way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts