Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so have any of you noticed some dash/console creaks when going over rough or somewhat rough pavement? I feel that Toyotas shouldn't have this problem for the most part, but it seems like mine does, and it's bothersome. Does anyone else notice this, and is it a fit & finish problem? It's not like anything extreme, but enough to get to me.

O

·
0 Posts
That is the same thing I'm getting with my Limited 4x4 V6. I hear it going through bumps, even small bumps. I believe it's not mechanical but it makes my almost $30K vehicle look cheap. :( My wife has an old Subaru Impreza and the dash/console is solid and quiet.

I have also noticed that the creaking/ticking sound becomes a louder vibrating/rattling noise at times. :x I've tried removing the contents of the center and glove compartements to make sure that it is not from noise bouncing from those places.

Let us know if you figure it out.

OZ

G

·
0 Posts
I had an annoying rattle that I discovered was due to my sunglasses rattling in the overhead sunglass holder. Now my V6 Limited has no creaks, rattles, or squeaks whatsoever.

B

·
0 Posts
I have noticed creaks/rattle in the front windows. I had noise filter tape put behind the weather strip to cushion the ratltle which has improved it but not 100%. Also if the window is opened just slightly, you can get a window ratttle when going over bumps.
The dealer said this is normal. I checked 2 other Ravs that did this as well.

Noise filter tape was also applied to the inside of the glove box.
I have not really tested it too much yet.

A

·
0 Posts
I've noticed a creak or rattling sound, too, when driving over slightly rough pavement. Of course, after winter freezing and thawing, there's plenty of rough and cracked pavement available. I think I've isolated mine to my center console armrest. I expected better, needless to say.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I believe the creaks are coming from the glove box. The dealer delivered my Rav less a glove box. Apparently, when the guy who delivers them to the dealership, reached under/behind the glove box to get "factory papers" he ended up breaking the lock and latch. Make a long story short, I was driving around for 2 weeks without a glove box. No creaks whatsoever!! They called Friday, said the new one was in. I had it installed. Low and behold, on the drive home I heard the "creaks". Glove box must be rubbing against the dash somewhere ??

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Glove box door complaints are legion -- I'm not sure I've had a vehicle that didn't at one time or another have a creaky or rattling glove box door. More than once I've found that by wrapping electrical tape a few times around the latch bar on the dashboard, I can effectively increase the size of the bar and make the door close more tightly, so it's less likely to move and rattle or creak.

Not sure what the glove box mechanism is like on the new RAV4 but this is the first thing I try now if it appears making the door close more firmly could be helpful.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure exactly where they are coming from, but I assume it's 1 or more of 3 places--the center console, the glove boxes area, and the armrest area. It's annoying, and isn't befitting of what I expect from Toyota. My Honda Element used to have some creaks--seemed to be worse in cold weather--but that thing had a LOT of plastic. The car that seems to have been the best when it comes to rattles and creaks was my 2002 Mazda Protege5. Honda and Toyota just haven't quite measured up to what I expect, and my RAV4 and Mazda were/are Japanese (RAV4--100%; Mazda 97-98%). I haven't had the window rattle problem, though. How would a dealer fix this, though? How much would the pull out of the car to try and fix it, and then they could cause more damage in the process?

R

·
0 Posts
ravnlunatic said:
I believe the creaks are coming from the glove box. The dealer delivered my RAV less a glove box. Apparently, when the guy who delivers them to the dealership, reached under/behind the glove box to get "factory papers" he ended up breaking the lock and latch. Make a long story short, I was driving around for 2 weeks without a glove box. No creaks whatsoever!! They called Friday, said the new one was in. I had it installed. Low and behold, on the drive home I heard the "creaks". Glove box must be rubbing against the dash somewhere ??
Does the noise continue if you drive with the glove box open?

I hear a inconsistent rattle from around that area, but I cannot pinpoint it. I have removed the plastic panel below the glove box and also driven with the glove box open. I thought it was the panel because it fits so loose, but it does have some sound deadening material on it. When it's warmer I will look some more.

Rob

B

·
0 Posts
Hi guys - I've been lurking here for a while, but this is my first post. Picked up my V6 Sport 4x4 just over a week ago.

So far I've been really impressed with the solidity of the interior, however a Corolla I owned back in the UK before moving to the States was terrible for interior rattles. Not what I expected from Toyota. By contrast, my wife's Yaris (the old model - a hatchback version of the Echo) was rock solid.

O

·
0 Posts
Okay I now got it down to very minimal creaks, there is still some but only if I really listen for it. A big improvement from my initial experience.

Thanks to gtalum for pointing out the overhead sunglass holder and ravnlunatic for the rubbing on the center glove box. I totally forgot the I had my sunglass in the overhead holder. I have not been wearing them lately due to cloudy days and I was too busy listening to the creaks and other noise in the cabin... oops.. :lol:

I've fixed the center glove box noise with some chair foot pads placed in the right locations. I got some extra since I dont have that much furniture. :) I spent everything on the RAV4, paid cash. My second home is my RAV4. :lol:

Anyway, now my newly redesigned, newly bought RAV4 feels much more solid. Another advice to others is to put a hand towel in the center glove box, it deadens the noise a bit more and it prevents the contents from moving around (an making noise), plus you'll have a towel when you need it!

Thanks again, sometimes you just need some other person's perspective.

OZ

B

·
0 Posts
ravnlunatic said:
I believe the creaks are coming from the glove box. The dealer delivered my RAV less a glove box. Apparently, when the guy who delivers them to the dealership, reached under/behind the glove box to get "factory papers" he ended up breaking the lock and latch. Make a long story short, I was driving around for 2 weeks without a glove box. No creaks whatsoever!! They called Friday, said the new one was in. I had it installed. Low and behold, on the drive home I heard the "creaks". Glove box must be rubbing against the dash somewhere ??
You should bring it back in to have it looked at.

O

·
0 Posts
We'll maybe it's just me but it looks like the center console creaks are back. I'm here in the Philly suburbs and it has been cold in the mornings. The center console does seem to creak when driving in the morning, most heard when going through bumps. Does anybody know how to or have instructions on how to open the center dash console? Is there a way to tighten it better?

Thanks,
OZ

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have those same creaks as well...im pretty sure they are coming from the center console. i am curious to know if anyone has removed the factory stero for any reason, do you have these creaks?

·
Registered
333 Posts
backtolife said:
I have noticed creaks/rattle in the front windows. I had noise filter tape put behind the weather strip to cushion the ratltle which has improved it but not 100%. Also if the window is opened just slightly, you can get a window ratttle when going over bumps.
The dealer said this is normal. I checked 2 other Ravs that did this as well.

Noise filter tape was also applied to the inside of the glove box.
I have not really tested it too much yet.

WHAT IS NOISE FILTER TAPE AND WHERE DO YOU GET> This sounds like a solution to my 02 camry window problem!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've got the centre console creak as well. It is quite annoying. My 6 year old Nissan started to develop these same problems just before I decided it was time to get rid of it. For a brand new vehicle this is pretty poor. I believe it is the cheap silver plastic trim piece rubbing against the main console. I might even consider buying a different trim kit just to get rid of the creak.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I recently noticed a rattling/buzzing noise from the rear of the RAV. I thought it was the hard tire cover so I pulled it off and drove it again. Nope that wasn't it.

In the end, it turned out to be one of those metal tie down rings in the cargo area. It was rattling whenever I hit a bump or imperfection in the road. I just flipped it so it sits horizontal against the floor and the rattle is gone!

Z

·
0 Posts
I notice a small vibration noise from the rear door when driving, even on smooth services.

I know it’s coming from the rear door because when I open it and keep it ajar and tap it on the inside I hear the noise.

The first thing I notice is that that big plastic molding that spans the entire inside of the door below the window is not fitted perfectly. Along both edges it does not fit completely flush and there is a one or two mm gap between the plastic and the metal. I slipped some rubber strips in the gaps to prevent any tapping sound from that source.

Still, the creaking sound persists.

I now think it’s coming from the spare tire area because when I tap firmly against the tire (I have the soft cover) I hear a creak. All the lugs and bolts seem to be secured firmly. I suspect there is some flex somewhere along the metal clamp.

Now I have to provide a caveat to all this. I have very good ears and my preferred driving conditions are to not have any accessories on, not the fan nor the radio, and the windows wound up. I like to listen intently on the sound of the engine when I’m driving and any noticeable creaking really irritates me.

As a family member says to me, “if you can only hear the creaking when you’re being anal, is it really a problem?”…

I could offer no response. :shock:

Cheers,
Zippy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts