Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:

Next month, I will be moving from the Boston area to Austin,TX and was planning on getting a hitch installed and towing a 4x8' UHaul trailer behind me. Aside from a transmission cooler, are there any other options I should install or anything I should know about before taking the trek in my 4.4 XLE AWD? Thanks in advance.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
10,190 Posts

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Since the maximum towing weight for a 4.4 RAV is 1500 lbs. and U-Haul trailer alone weighs 850 lbs. you will be only able to load 650 lbs. into the trailer. Also Toyota says that with any towed weight over 600 lbs. the trailer needs to be equipped with trailer brakes, which means that your RAV will need to have wiring installed for the trailer lights (a legal requirement) and if the trailer has electric brakes a trailer brake controller. With all of that it probably would be better to rent a truck from U-Haul rather than to rent a trailer.

·
Super Moderator
11,131 Posts
You are BEGGING for trouble. Consider another means of getting your items to Austin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My furniture isn't worth the cost of renting a truck; maybe I'll buy a cargo top carrier and cross bars for additional items. I'll get the OE cross bars; does anyone have any suggestions for car-top carriers?

·
Super Moderator
10,190 Posts
You pay an aero penalty with a roof carrier similar to that of an upright trailer, just w/o the weight of the trailer. I'd use a hitch mounted carrier instead. I'd also not have a problem with towing a small light 4x8 flatbed trailer as long as you keep the load lower than the RAV4. Then the only issue is learning how to back up which is more difficult with a small short trailer than it is with one like my big 7x20 dyno trailer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts