Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum and wanted to reach out for some advice.

I just purchased a 98 AWD Rav4 in California.

In a couple months I am going to be moving to Buffalo, New York for school and need to find a way to get the car across the country.

I don't want to drive it because the car already has around 247K miles on it and I don't want to add that many more miles that quickly.

Any suggestions for other possibilities?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
At 247K what's another 3?

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
There are car transport services which could haul your RAV via transporter to Buffalo, but don't know about the cost. Some owners have advertised for drivers to drive their vehicle to the new destination with the owner paying for gas - sometimes other college students will do that to save the cost of having to get to their destination by public transport, but of course the owner doesn't know whether the driver will take reasonable care of the vehicle being driven.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wouldn't think that a roughly 5000 mile trip would make a difference. That's only about 2% of the total mileage. If it can't make it that far, maybe you should rethink. A car van is pricey.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the end, it's not the miles that I'm worried about. I'll be flying to Buffalo (and then on to another location for class) two weeks before before I can move into my housing. That means that for those two weeks I have no place to store the car.

Because of that, I was hoping to have the car transported to me when I will actually be in Buffalo.

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
What's the car worth? I just did a quick check on eBay of shipping a RAV4 from San Diego to CT. Prices are $1000-1200.
Didn't check drive-away prices but you might be smart to sell it in CA and buy another in NY.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would so drive it !

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
I would so drive it !
Agreed. Not many people get the chance to experience a coast-to-coast (almost) drive. But in this case it seems we have a high priced agenda and a low valued car.

IMO, the OP should be taking a course in finances before heading to college!. :shrug:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts