Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done drain and refills at least 20 times before.
I even fitted the drain bolt by hand for half the thread before putting using the allen bolt/wrench.

The I notice clean red fluid draining. I thought I did not tighten enough and tightened even more ... at leat a whole turn. Then I realised it must be cross-threaded. Of course, as it took the bolt out, it was obvious as it wiggled around :wall:wall

Dealer is closed. will have to wait until morning to buy a part. The dealer is 5 min walk from me.

Question: what are the chances that I f*cked up the thread on the transmission pan?

I recuperated half the WS ATF that put in but I am discarding it. I have Valvoline Maxlife in the garage; I guess I will be putting using that instead now.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
Question: what are the chances that I f*cked up the thread on the transmission pan?
I hate to say it and I hope that I'm wrong, but in my experience the bolt is harder than the threads in pans, so damage to the pan threads is likely . . :eek:

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I checked the threads in the pan under a flashlight. I could find any sign of cross threading. So I hope just the bolt needs to be changed. Even when I was cross threading the bolt was moving smooth as butter !!! That's why I kept on tightening for so long before I realised what was going on. I found that the first 2 thread in the pan are missing about 2.5mm of thread in the same area. Seems to be from the factory; this might explain why I cross threaded the bolt :( Not sure why this feature exist through.

I hope that the dealer is open at 7 am tomorrow. I could just run there and hope that the bolt in stock instead of hearing the usual "We'll have to get that from Toronto for you"!!! Then I would put the bolt in and use my Maxlife fluid. I had originally bought it for my Kia Spectra 2007 but I found that I also have sealed bottles of Castrol Import ATF which I can also use for my Kia; Hence I am not getting any more WS from the dealer this time.

I have also seen that Dorman also sells it's own version of the bolt: 090-042

Then there are repair kits like this one:Dorman® AutoGrade™ 090-048.1 - Universal Transmission Drain Plug Kit | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Not ideal but at least it does not cost a fortune. However, the pan needs to be dropped first.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Remove bolt, let drain, buy teflon white steam sealant, run a tap through the bad thread, clean. With a new bolt and washer put teflon steam sealant on both the bolt and thread, finger tighten bolt, let sit 5 minutes then tighten. With a cleaned pan at the bolt and thread, wipe dry, no oil residue. Wipe the teflon steam sealant to seal the bolt/thread area.
Refill Xmission
Test for leaks

Redrill the threaded hole the next size, be sure to have the next size bolt and washer, tap the new thread, clean the hole, dry fit the bolt.

If good then use teflon tape on the bolt, wrapped the correct way and just snug the bolt. Finger tighten to be certain not to cross thread.

Refill and test for leaks

Ue a tapered rubber stopper that expands when tightened.
What others have said.

Make sure you know the OD size of the thread hole and/or bolt size and buy a repair bolt just for this purpose.

Any alteration other than the correct bolt to the correct hole keep and eye on not over tightening.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the easiest way to retap the thread? I am doing my online search but if there is an easy diy, please let me know.

Dorman replacement (090-042) specs is

Type : Standard
Thread Size : M18-1.50
Under-Head Length : 16mm
Head Size : 19mm
Head Style : Flanged Hex
Brand : Dorman - AutoGrade - Boxed

I suppose I should get M18 x 1.50 tap but is that the OEM size or the best fit that Dorman has?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
It's pretty straight forward. Put a little bit of oil on the tap. Transmission oil is fine. And turn the tap slowly. Same direction as you would tighten a screw or bolt. When you're done turn the opposite direction as you would loosen a screw or bolt.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
At 7:30 a.m. I was at my Local Toyota dealer. guess what, "we can get it for you tomorrow from Toronto"! Unbelievable. They have another location 15 km from me (Orleans). They have 1 in stock. I head out of the dealer but I return to get the number of the Orlean location so that they can put it on hold for me. Last thing I want is find out it was sold in the past hour. So I call to find out that it is a special order for Mr. Robertson!!!

So I head to Canadian Tire, 4 km from me and got the generic 18M x 1.5 Dorman bolt. It was about $4. Then I started looking for the matching tap. Nada! They have a kit online that had it but I could not find it in store.

Like mentioned before, I found that the pan threads looked good. So I headed home hoping for the best. The new bolt fits like a glove :) Only thing I used the nylon washer that came with the bolt instead of the OEM metal washer. My thought was that the Dorman bolt might might not be machine as precisely as the OEM one and might leave a gap if a metal washer was used. At least by looking at the threads, it was obvious that the OEM bolt was of a better quality. Too bad, cuz they are the same price.

I put in 3L of Valvoline Maxlife. I will check the level/leaks again when I get home today.

I did not check yet if the OEM bolt is magnetic. That might be one difference. But at least I can use my RAV again.

I am happy that the pan was unaffected. For now, Maxlife seems ok (with 50% WS atf mixed with it), it is shifting the same except for some cases when I think it is very slightly rougher. May be it is just in my head. If I stop noticing it in a 2 weeks from now, this will be my last drain and refill for the next 3 years.

Thanks for all your input; it really gave me some hope that there was light at the end of the tunnel.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hate to say it and I hope that I'm wrong, but in my experience the bolt is harder than the threads in pans, so damage to the pan threads is likely . . :eek:
In this case, luckily, the pan threads are harder that the OEM bolt threads. Whoever thought about this is a genius!:)

The Dorman replacement bolt however seems to be your regular hard steel bolt; it won't be forgiving.

·
Registered
8,184 Posts
In this case, luckily, the pan threads are harder that the OEM bolt threads. Whoever thought about this is a genius!:)

The Dorman replacement bolt however seems to be your regular hard steel bolt; it won't be forgiving.
Great outcome! :thumbs_up: It's good that my supposition was wrong!

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Washed the front undercarriage with a hose as well inside the engine bay near the tranny dipstick to remove any ATF which dripped around yesterday. Drove 10km. Does not seem to be any leak. Will check again tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Still no leak :) RAV is shifting well.

FYI, when I cross-threaded the bolt and had to catch the new WS fluid flowing out, I have to say that it already looked dirty from the sludge which is at the bottom of the pan. The fluid looked thicker and dirtier.

So dropping the pan and cleaning it is not a bad idea at all, even on a relatively low mileage car (agreed it is more work and also you would need a new gasket). Mine has 39K miles.

May be I will drop the pan at 60K miles and clean it then ... if I still have the RAV.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have done drain and refills at least 20 times before.
I even fitted the drain bolt by hand for half the thread before putting using the allen bolt/wrench.

The I notice clean red fluid draining. I thought I did not tighten enough and tightened even more ... at leat a whole turn. Then I realised it must be cross-threaded. Of course, as it took the bolt out, it was obvious as it wiggled around :wall:wall

Dealer is closed. will have to wait until morning to buy a part. The dealer is 5 min walk from me.

I recuperated half the WS ATF that put in but I am discarding it. I have Valvoline Maxlife in the garage; I guess I will be putting using that instead now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,take pan off the car to a small non franchised garage if you've got one by you they should be able to use a tap to cut a oversized thread into it then buy a pan gasket and filter if it has one .some of them only have a screen buy a bolt to the size they have re -threaded and dont forget a washer for the bolt.good luck .refit it and check for leaks .good luck ,baz 4

1 - 18 of 18 Posts