Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed 4 JL Audio 6.5" in the doors. I did not disconnect the stock tweeters. I am going to disconnect but Im not sure if there is a crossover in the door. Also is there a crossover somewhere in the vehicle between the front and rear speakers. Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Heya coletrainster!

My '01 door tweeters had the crossover(capacitor) soldered on the tweeter itself, so removing the tweeter removes the front "crossover". The rears on my RAVie were combined into a 2-way speaker, so no external tweeter in the rears. Happy RAV'n!

..ChimChim

coletrain said:
Also is there a crossover somewhere in the vehicle between the front and rear speakers. Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks im trying to figure out how to remove the tweeters. I unplugged them and my door speakers stopped workin. coletrain

·
Registered
93 Posts
removing the tweeters means u have to join the wires in order for the door speakers to work, the head unit connects directly to the tweeter and the door speakers taps on the tweeter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
bngski said:
removing the tweeters means u have to join the wires in order for the door speakers to work, the head unit connects directly to the tweeter and the door speakers taps on the tweeter.
heya coletrainski!

If your door speakers work with the tweeter, and the second you unplug the tweeters they stop working, then they are wired in series, and joining the 2 wires that connected the tweeter should complete the circuit enabling you to use the door speakers without the tweeters. But be careful because if your speakers are NOT wired in series(most stock speakers are not) then you can potentially pop some fuses.

If I'm not mistaken, my stock speakers had the tweeters wired in parallel, meaning if I took out the tweeters the door speakers would work. I'm a little surprised if yours are wired in series, but then again I've read so many posts of other RAVie owners having such different "stock" configurations that who knows what's "stock" means anymore. Anyways.. try that connecting test. If your speakers magically turn back on with the tweeter connected, just connect the two wires that go to the tweeter when you disconnect it and you should be good to go. If the door speakers do NOT work with the tweeters installed then you have other issues... probably disconnected the wire harness to the door speakers accidentally. Hope that helps. Happy RAV'n!

..ChimChim

·
Registered
83 Posts
coletrain said:
hey thanks im trying to figure out how to remove the tweeters. I unplugged them and my door speakers stopped workin. coletrain
This sounds crazy. Never heard of tweeters being connected in series with the main speakers. I am tempted to ask again, "are you sure, that it was just the disconnection of tweeter that led to loss of sound from the main speakers?" I have heard of people connecting multiple speaker cones i series to make the load easy for the low power tube amplifier but for car solid state amplifier and that too tweeter-------????? :?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well they must be in a series because I unplugged the tweeters. Then I connected the same color wires together and everything sounds even better than before. I was looking at the Toyota tweeters and they look like plastic. pretty sorry. Thanks for the help guys.

B

·
0 Posts
Regarding the tweeters in the car, they are easy to get rid of. One of the first things I did when I got my rav was getting rid of al the junk stock stuff and throwing in some sweeeeeet infinity kappa component speakers.

The wiring for the front speakers is as follows: In from the side of the door, up to the tweeter, down to the main speaker. So ... when you disconnect the tweeter, it disconnects your main speakers. You can clip the wire for the tweets and send it down to your main speakers easily - you can buy terminal connectors to be crimped onto the speakers at Radio Shack - they work great.

As for those of you interested, You DO have to purchase an adaptor from crutchfield to fit new, non-stock speakers into any of the holes in the doors. A crossover fits perfectly when screwed onto the door itself, on the opposite side of the arm rest - its dry, and there is plenty of space.

Just remember to check for wires behind the spot you drill through when putting in holes for your speaker adaptors ... you DON"T want to drill through them!!!

ENJOY!

B

·
0 Posts
Oh yeah, about the tweets I installed, I was able to use the surface mouting bracket in the same spot the stock tweets were. All hidden, no mess - fit perfect!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts