Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good day guys and gals. just want to ask your comments because i am already using Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil on my 97 Rav and my brother suggested that if ever the oil level goes down i could use a normal engine oil instead of buying another gallon of synthetic oil, there is no available small size of syn engine oil here so he just opted for the cheaper one, mobil plus.. he said that a mechanic friend of him sggested that idea. he has been doing it for quite sometime now and as of the moment i cannot see an obvious side effect. any violent comment on that? anyone tried it before? just curious...

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
I can't say for certain, but I would think it would the same as buying a mixed synthetic oil instead of the 100% synthetic...

I myself like to use Valvoline Durablend:

From Valvoline's website:

DuraBlend Tough Driving Formula has been developed with a unique blend of premium synthetic and conventional base oils with advanced additive technology. It provides increased protection for "tough driving conditions" such as stop and go traffic, frequent trips, hauling, and towing, which place extra stress and demands on your engine.
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=4

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mixing Synthetic & Crude oils

For what its worth I mix 2 qts Castrol Syntec 5w15 to 3 qts Castrol GT 20w50w at each oil change, Cubby has 146000 miles on it and seems to love it :D

:cheers:

Vic....vicco27.......Keep Rollin.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank u guys, i'm really expecting a violent reactions from that topic, well my brother had a point after all. see u around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts