Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This anomaly is already mentioned many times in this forum, however it is not clear do the latest model of the 4th generation have the same problem? Driving with cruise control 110-120 km/hour my RAV 2015 has a difficult time keeping the 6th gear. The smallest uphill or front wind cause shifting to 5th or 4th gear and it takes forever to come back to 6th gear mostly on the next downhill if ever? More strange to it, quick resetting the cruise it shift back to 6th until next uphill. It is a questions; how come the algorithm of cruise control do not command upshifting even on a pretty flat road after uphill downshifting? And why after switching off and on the cruise it accepts the 6th gear again? It is about impossible to drive in 6th gear for longer time on relatively flat highway? This makes me nervous and also MPG obviously suffers.

So, I am asking the owners of 2017/18 models to share with us their experiences!

·
Premium Member
7,917 Posts
Can't tell ya on the late 4th gen, but 5th gen doesn't do it. My '15 Ltd was real bad about it, my best work around was cancel CC just before the hill then resume at the top.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regular driving without using cruise control seams to maintain the 6th gear properly. Wondering if Toyota offers any software update for CC?

·
Registered
2018 RAV4 Adventure
17 Posts
Driving our 2018 RAV4 Adventure on a 3500 mile trip from Kissimmee Florida to Albany NY and then across upstate NY to Niagara Falls and back down through the Pennsylvania hills to New Jersey, Maryland,Virginia etc to Kissimmee with many stops along the way I used cruise control every chance I had. I didn’t encounter any issues with the cruise or transmission shifting at all. The terrain was a variety mix of highway grades and mountain highway for the most part. I also found the adaptive cruise to work very well too. I follow numerous posts on many subjects on this forum and seem to be in the minority with no mechanical issues with my RAV4.

·
Premium Member
7,917 Posts
2013-'15 didn't have ACC, just standard CC.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My 2017 XLE does that exactly. I just pull the cruise stalk back and then click it up. You can watch the tach to see the revs drop before yu click it back to Resume. Sometimes, I wait until the uphill flattens out. Minor irritant. Still beats the hell out of '49 Chevy:LOL:

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2018 has done the same. I have found the only way to get it to upshift is to put the shifter in manual and shift it up. Its spent over 2 weeks at the dealer but because it is an intermitant and it didn't do it when they had it they didn't have a clue. The car has 16k on it and when it gets close to the warranty expiration day I will be trading it in. They should not be doing this and with the engine pushing close to 5000 rpm It may go sooner. As much as I have had great luck with Toyota I'm not impressed with their service dept.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife’s 2017 XLE does this some of the time I have notice. I feel Toyota needs to have a software update To correct. That is my only complaint with her Rav. We are at almost 30,000 miles car has been great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts