Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Rav4 that I just purchased and I have a question regarding the behavior of the cruise control. I've searched Google with my question and haven't been able to find any other descriptions of what I'm experiencing. Of course I found this forum while searching.

Most of the time, when the cruise control is engaged, the Rav4 will downshift near the top, bringing the RPM to 4k (4th gear?). It will hold this RPM for 15 to 20 seconds, well after the hill has leveled out. It will then shift to 6500 to 7000 RPM. I'm pretty sure the rev limiter blipped when it hit 7K. Cruise is set anywhere between 75 and 80. I have had this also happen at lower speeds, but the RPM does not go as high. I have also had this happen once (@65 mph) with cruise on, but not engaged. I live in central Kentucky so most hills are not that steep and gently roll.

The dealer was able to recreate the issue, data logged it in action and spoke with Toyota engineering who says this is normal behavior. My searches have also netted comments that this is engine braking and the cruise control is trying to limit speed. I could accept that, but revving all the way to 6500 to 7000 RPM?

Is this normal?

I would think that by the time it revs out that it should actually up shift into 5th or 6th as the hill is leveling out, not going downhill. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. With 2.5 weeks into ownership, I'm really unhappy with this Rav4. I meet with the service manager at the dealership to discuss this situation and engineering's feedback.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should also mention that no one in the service department has heard of this. I would think that if it were normal operation others would be concerned. I've also never owned a Rav4 so I know little about them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A car is a car. That's not normal behavior for any vehicle.
Nearly impossible to hit 7k rpms in my 2016 SE unless you are in drive sport mode and manually controlling the gear box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts