Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a 1998 RAV4 L model which had no cruise control. I inquired with the dealer and he didn't have a cruise control model which would work with ABS brakes. I asked if they could refer me to a shop locally which would install a third party cruise. They would not because of some issue with had seen with post 1995 vehicles. It sounded like a problem with the accelerator. Has anyone had any experience with this?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have a 1998 RAV4. I bought it new back in 1998 and it had cruise control already in it. I use the cruise control every chance I get. For being 7 years old, I haven't had any problems with my cruise control whatsoever.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jswan said:
We bought a 1998 RAV4 L model which had no cruise control. I inquired with the dealer and he didn't have a cruise control model which would work with ABS brakes. I asked if they could refer me to a shop locally which would install a third party cruise. They would not because of some issue with had seen with post 1995 vehicles. It sounded like a problem with the accelerator. Has anyone had any experience with this?
I have an aftermarket cruise on mine and it works fine.

If you have an auto - like mine - the only 'issue' is that a Toyota cruise will knock the OD off on hills - whereas the after-market doesn't so it strugles up steap hills (slowly slows) - but knocking the OD off every now and again is no biggie

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've got the automatic '98 also with factory cruise control. On long hills, it seemed like the cruise control releases, not that it knocks off the OD. *shrugs* First time it did that while going up some mountains in western Maryland I thought I broke the car!

I've had mine for about 2-1/2 years now and I'm happy anyway.

But sorry, no experice with the after-market cruise ctrl.

--KK

·
Registered
28 Posts
I fitted a Golbal Cruise Kit #250-1591 to my 1998 RAV (Uk spec) about 3 years ago now - has worked perfectly with no problems at all. It was a bit tricky to fit as finding out which wires to tap into wasn't obvious - no easily available wiring information (that I found anyway).

Only for the advanced DIYer to install though as it involves drilling the bulkhead and passing lots of wires through and patching them into the ECU wiring loom. Loadsa satisfaction once it'd done though :)

- Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts