Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

Firstly, thanks to whoever created and hosts this site - it's a great resource.

I've searched the forums to find a solution to my cruise control not working but couldn't find anything.

Whenever I try to turn the cruise on (using the button at the end of the control stalk) nothing happens. I thought maybe the dashlight was just burnt out, so I tried setting the speed but with no luck.

I've looked through the owner's manual to see if there's something in them that I could check to find the problem. The only thing it says is to take it to a Toyota dealer :cry:

I went to a local auto parts place thinking I would need to buy a replacement fuse. I have found all the fuse boxes but none seems to be labeled as the fuse for the cruise control. Since I didn't know which fuses might be blown, I checked all of them. They're all good! :? The guy at the store looked up info for the cruise on his computer and said there are 3 (!) fuses for the cruise. That REALLY confused me!

So now, I'm thinking maybe it's a relay.

Does anyone know where I can find these three fuses or do they even exist? Also, if it's a relay - which one should I check?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
From a 1996 RAV4 wiring manual -

SYSTEM OUTLINE -
Current is applied at all times through the STOP fuse to TERMINAL 2 of the stop light SW and also through the DOME fuse to TERMINAL 15 of the cruise control ECU.
With the IGNITION SW turned to on, current flows through the GAUGE fuse to TERMINAL 8 of the COMBINATION METER and the current through the DOME FUSE flows to TERMINAL 15 of the CRUISE CONTOL ECU.
When the IGNITION SW is on and the CRUISE CONTROL MAIN SWITCH if turned on, a signal is input from TERMINAL 5 of the CRUISE CONTROL SW to TERMINAL 19 of the CRUISE CONTROL ECU. As a result, the CRUISE CONTROL ECU functions and the current flows from the ECU-IG FUSE to TERMINAL 14 of the CRUISE CONTROL ECU to TERMINAL 13 of the CRUISE CONTROL ECU ---> GROUND, and the CRUISE CONTROL system is in a condition ready for operation.
At the same time, the current through the GAUGE FUSE flows to TERMINAL 8 of the CRUISE CONTROL indicator light ---> TERMINAL 6 ---> TERMINAL 7 of the CRUISE CONTROL ECU ---> TERMINAL 13 ---> GROUND, causing the CRUISE CONTROL indicatior light to light up, indicating that the CRUISE CONTROL is ready for operation.
Simple huh :?

Did you check ALL your fuses... under the hood and behind the dash panel (in front of your left knee when sitting in the driver's seat)?

·
Registered
176 Posts
On my '98 I had that problem but it was not a fuse. It has the old switch without the screw in the back to hod it in so it would come loose and I would have to push it back in from the back. I put some black tape around it to hold it in. My 2000 has the one with the screw to hold it in. There is a TSB on it EL012-00 on the TSB area under 1997 - 2000.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!!

Thanks for your replies!

Kelly - Yes, I checked ALL the fuses in 4 (or 5) places....3 under the hood and 2 in the passenger compartment. They're all good :(

Stelly - I came across that TSB when I was googling for a solution. I think you've put your finger on the solution for two reasons.

1- You've experienced this yourself...and
2- I've played around with the control stalk and I can get the cruise to come on about 10% of the time. So, I'm pretty sure it the stalk.

A side note: I bought this 98 RAV4 because I wanted an inexpensive SUV to carry my kids around in. I didn't really care what I ended up with but I have to say...THIS THING IS GREAT! I LOVE IT!

LONG LIVE RAV4'S!!! (especially mine! 8) )

Thanks again, guys!
Blair Young

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cruise control control screw

I have the same issue. Does anyone know a way to get the screw that's described in TSB 01200?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Re: Cruise control control screw

mdkrantz said:
I have the same issue. Does anyone know a way to get the screw that's described in TSB 01200?
It's not just a matter of adding this screw. The TSB fix is to replace the entire cruise control stalk with an updated version that is held together with an additional screw. You might try the fix Stelly used... wrap it tight with black electrical tape.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts