Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2006 RAV4 D4D model. I think it's a limited edition, since it's got R17 wheels and cruise control..

Anyways, cruise control is there but it does not work. It turns on, when i press the button to turn cruise control ON, the symbol "CRUISE" comes on the dash, it's solid green, not blinking. However, neither SET or RES functions work.

i do have MINI VCI diagnostics cable. I tried connecting to cruise control module and looking at some active data. There I can see that cruise control switch is indeed working, also brake and clutch pedal switches.. Any suggestions what else could be causing this?

The only possible issue i saw in VCI diagnostics, when viewing data list for cruise control, there is an entry "Throttle opening angle", but it does not change then i press throttle pedal with engine powered down.. otherwise there are not DTCs..

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
How long have you owned the RAV4? Did the cruise control work when you first started driving it? Some European models did not come with cruise control, and some owners tried installing the cruise control stalk on the steering wheel. Sometimes this would work but others reported that it would only turn on the light but otherwise have no effect because not all of the wiring is in place.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long have you owned the RAV4? Did the cruise control work when you first started driving it? Some European models did not come with cruise control, and some owners tried installing the cruise control stalk on the steering wheel. Sometimes this would work but others reported that it would only turn on the light but otherwise have no effect because not all of the wiring is in place.
I'm pretty sure that this is a factory installed cruise control. I don't have it for long. But it never worked for me, the previous guys who owned the car had no problems with it. but anyways If it would installed post factory assembly, wouldn't the cruise control module be unavailable for diagnostics then?

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
I'm pretty sure that this is a factory installed cruise control. I don't have it for long. But it never worked for me, the previous guys who owned the car had no problems with it. but anyways If it would installed post factory assembly, wouldn't the cruise control module be unavailable for diagnostics then?
There is no "cruise control module"--the cruise control is built into the ECM (ECU). But if that cruise control stalk was added later, there might not be wiring in the spiral cable (clockspring) to get those signals to the ECM. Check out this thread:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/86205-cruise-control-installation.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any way to tell for sure that it was installed post factory assembly? Could the mini vci used for this manner? Or perhaps VIN could be decoded to that detail level...

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
Any way to tell for sure that it was installed post factory assembly? Could the mini vci used for this manner? Or perhaps VIN could be decoded to that detail level...
Assuming you don't have the original window sticker, you could provide the VIN to a dealer and have them look up the "build list" on the computer. They should be able to provide you a printout of all standard equipment and features that the car came with.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But if the wires would not be there in my spiral cable connector, VCI diagnostics cable would not show cruise switch activity, since now i can verify that each switch function works:

On / off
Set
Res
Cancel

So when thinking from this, it has to be connected to ECU correctly. Will try to look deeper into this.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
For VIN level info, give this link a try if you haven't done so. Go to the parts catalog, enter your VIN or frame number. It will have / should have several specifics about your car:

http://www.toyodiy.com/

I'd be curious to know if your diesel RAV shows up with country of origin, etc. If it shows a cruise control part in the 'electrical' section--like my 09 non-diesel RAV does-- maybe that means it was OEM installed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For VIN level info, give this link a try if you haven't done so. Go to the parts catalog, enter your VIN or frame number. It will have / should have several specifics about your car:

http://www.toyodiy.com/

I'd be curious to know if your diesel RAV shows up with country of origin, etc. If it shows a cruise control part in the 'electrical' section--like my 09 non-diesel RAV does-- maybe that means it was OEM installed.

Yup, it does. Cruise control is there. My guess is that there is something not right with vehicle speed sensor or abs sensors, where cruise control get a speed from..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update.

After driving for a while with cruise control light ON, computer started giving errors, check engine, check VSC, check 4x4... After connecting VCI, found error code:

P0500 - Vehicle speed sensor...

Cleared all codes and it does not show anymore. So this tells me that something is wrong with wiring or with speed sensor itself, though speed is displayed correctly in my dash..

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
On the automatic, there are 2 vehicle speed sensors as indicated by the red arrows. The starter is mounted in the hole indicated by the blue arrow:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's not easy to access this area from top. I'll have to give a try from below.

Thanks for picture!

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
It's not easy to access this area from top. I'll have to give a try from below.

Thanks for picture!
The usual way to get to this area is to remove the battery and battery tray.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've only found one sensor that seemed to be a speed sensor. Unplugged it, cleaned with electrical terminal spray cleaner and plugged back, but no difference. And anyways this P0500 seems not to be connected with cruise control.. since it comes up every 2nd time i drive a car. I reset DTCs, everything looks to be fine but in after 2nd engine startup - same error codes as well. But what looks strange - that speed never drops on my instrument panel. Could it be a sensor failure?

And with cruise control i give up.. In active test i can see that everything works, switch stop pedal, clutch pedal but it still does not work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After a lot of searching I found that Rav4 does not have any vehicle speed sensors mounted on transmission anymore. At least with mechanical transmissions. Instead they get speed from ABS sensors, which are mounted on each wheel. Am I wrong?

So in this case it should be not vehicle speed sensor, but abs sensor. Will try to check abs sensors while car is moving to see it they all give even speed readings.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
As my rear ABS wheel sensors were starting to fail I'd get several error lights on the dash, 4WD, etc but I could shut off the engine and restart and they'd go off. When that quit working I could clear them for awhile using the jumper method at the data port. Finally, after cleaning it a couple times, I replaced the left rear sensor and the codes & lights went away for maybe a year. When it happened again and the code was for the right rear I quit messing around and promptly ordered and replaced the right rear. No problems since.

At no time did my speedometer stop working. Don't remember trying cruise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting... It's just this DTC P0500 is a bit deceiving... it says vehicle speed sensor, but instead it's ABS and worst part is that this error code repeats every 40km and error code does not mention which wheel it is. Since ECU gets speed from CAN it only knows it there's a speed or not, but does not show more info.

Now the difficult part is to figure out which is bad sensor. I have taken each of them out, it was pretty rusty around, but the sensors looked good, they didin't had much rust on sensors itself. All my hopes are that this issue is connected with cruise control not working.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Problem solved. Problem was not in the sensors but in the wiring. in the ECU plug, there was a bent contact which was not making a full connection. Not everything works just fine.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
Problem solved. Problem was not in the sensors but in the wiring. in the ECU plug, there was a bent contact which was not making a full connection. Not everything works just fine.
Glad you got it solved! How did you track down the problem?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts