Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our cruise control is sopossed to have a 'brake deceleration' feature.. I think it is sopossed to work like this..

when you have the cruise engaged pull back on the stick and the cruise goes off and the brakes get lightly applied?? Does anyones work like this>? It does not seem to slow down any faster then if I was coasting??

E

·
0 Posts
flyingn said:
Our cruise control is sopossed to have a 'brake deceleration' feature.. I think it is sopossed to work like this..

when you have the cruise engaged pull back on the stick and the cruise goes off and the brakes get lightly applied?? Does anyones work like this>? It does not seem to slow down any faster then if I was coasting??

I did not notice any brake deceleration with mine either. I read something about that in the manual but not to closely.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ok, lazy me isn't going down to the garage to get the manual, but this was my understanding:

If you push down (not pull back - that cancels cruise) on the control, that lets the car coast, not brake, so you can coast to your desired speed (assuming you're not going down a steep hill). Typical cruise behavior.

I interpreted the "brake deceleration" feature to mean the following: If I have the cruise set, and I go down a steep hill, it will apply the brake so as to maintain the speed (rather than the typical cruise control which only can control the accelerator and would therefore allow the car to gain speed due to the steep hill). I've not had the opportunity to test this theory.

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Not sure if the new cruise mechanism is the same as the RAV4.2, but for me, it's always been:

Push the button to activate cruise mode (again to disable cruise) and tap down to set speed

When cruising...

Tip the stalk up to accelerate (a quick tap yields about a 1 mph increase)

Tip stalk down to decelerate/coast (quick tap works here too)

Hold the stalk up or down if you aren't in a particular hurry for either and don't want to touch the pedals

Pull the stalk towards you to cancel cruise

E

·
0 Posts
The cruise works the same as it did in my 96 and 01. No difference at all.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The brake decelleration that you speak of applies when decending a steep hill while cruise is on. This will hold the speed and not let the vehicle speed up over what you set.

Pull back = Cancel and it will "Coast" to a stop if you let it. Need to decellerate quicker then for us we just push the O/D button but for you, you need to push the stick towards you and put it in 3rd and let the engine slow you down faster. Option 3 ..... Hit the brakes!

Later. M.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Actually, I think that I have experienced this brake deceleration feature. If you, while having cruise control on, press and hold down on the stalk, instead of just coasting, it kinda feels like the brakes are being applied to slow you faster. I did notice this when driving back from York, PA. Seems like a cool feature.

·
Registered
234 Posts
rablat5 said:
Actually, I think that I have experienced this brake deceleration feature. If you, while having cruise control on, press and hold down on the stalk, instead of just coasting, it kinda feels like the brakes are being applied to slow you faster. I did notice this when driving back from York, PA. Seems like a cool feature.
Played with it last night coming back from Seattle. Push down ( - SET ) and it will slow down and set to the new lower speed. If you hold it down for a few seconds more, it will apply the brakes and slow you down even faster... The brake lights even come on.

·
Registered
458 Posts
old cruise control

(rather than the typical cruise control which only can control the accelerator and would therefore allow the car to gain speed due to the steep hill).
This sounds totally dangerous to me and I hope it's not true. I've driven my bothers 16 year old Camry and it holds the set speed going downhill. If you've ever driven over the Grapevine you know what I am talking about. You can easily coast downhill greater than the posted speed limit of 70 mph.

C

·
0 Posts
SOP for cruise control is accelerator operation only. A long downhill, the car will definitely speed up with a typical system. Pretty neat that the RAV will apply brakes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts