Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased a new 2016 RAV4 LE in February 2016 and have had issues with the cruise control since the date of purchase. I'm commute 110 kms every day, all highway, mostly flat surface with only a couple of small hills. The cruise is very erratic (surging) makes the car feel like it is being held back and then letting it go. The surging almost makes you feel like you are going to be seasick. I've notified our Toyota dealership during regular maintenance appointments, as well as to their customer service and most recently to the salesman who sold us the vehicle. The first three times I was told they were looking in to it, and eventually that their service manager had made Toyota Canada aware. On the most recent visit, I took their senior technician out for a drive to demonstrate what it was doing. He said they all do it (even the 2017 models), that the computer was trying to find the best fuel economy hence speeding up & slowing down (surging/lurching) and that all I could do is get used to it. I drive a lot of different small/medium sized SUV's from our corporate fleet, which all have computer modules and cruise and have never felt them surge. I find it hard to believe that it is trying to find the best fuel economy by surging - in fact, I would think the opposite would be true in that the surging would decrease the fuel economy. Telling me to "get used to it" is not acceptable. We purchased Toyota rather than a similar domestic model, which would have been 1/2 the cost, because they had a good reputation. We are extremely frustrated.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Welcome! Agreed that the surging behavior you're experiencing would negatively impact fuel mileage, and shouldn't be a "get used to it" situation. My '11 4.3 V6 exhibits some annoying uphill cruise control surge on our hills and mountains (primary concern is that the vehicle exceeds the speed limit during the surge) but there is no surging on more level roads. And there is never any repeated on and off throttle.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
The 4 cylinder engines are moderately underpowered. Combined with the double overdrive, throwing ANY kind of hill at it will cause this to happen.
The system doesn't know that you are going up hill, only that the speed dropped significantly below the set point.
It accelerates, that's not enough, so it downshifts. This results in a surge of acceleration, and it overshoots the setpoint, so it drops to a lower throttle setting to decelerate, which causes an upshift, which results in it dropping below the setpoint.... lather, rinse, repeat.

My Tacoma was REALLY bad. Wife's Rav isn't horrible, but it does happen.
I hate to say "They all do that" but the 4 cylinder vehicles do. The trick is, as you begin climbing the hill, before your speed begins to drop, pop the trans out of overdrive. The engine speed will increase, and it will hold speed properly until you crest the hill and pop it back into "D"

If it is doing it on level ground and you are not in a high wind area, something is definitely not right.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
My wife has a CR-V (obviously a 4 cyl.) when in cruise control on hills does exactly as my V6 RAV - momentary mild over-speed, actually less than with my RAV, at the crests of steeper hills and mountains, no surging on level ground or mild hills. I haven't driven a 4 cyl. RAV in hilly or mountainous situations.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,096 Posts
We purchased a new 2016 RAV4 LE in February 2016 and have had issues with the cruise control since the date of purchase. I'm commute 110 kms every day, all highway, mostly flat surface with only a couple of small hills. The cruise is very erratic (surging) makes the car feel like it is being held back and then letting it go. The surging almost makes you feel like you are going to be seasick. I've notified our Toyota dealership during regular maintenance appointments, as well as to their customer service and most recently to the salesman who sold us the vehicle. The first three times I was told they were looking in to it, and eventually that their service manager had made Toyota Canada aware. On the most recent visit, I took their senior technician out for a drive to demonstrate what it was doing. He said they all do it (even the 2017 models), that the computer was trying to find the best fuel economy hence speeding up & slowing down (surging/lurching) and that all I could do is get used to it. I drive a lot of different small/medium sized SUV's from our corporate fleet, which all have computer modules and cruise and have never felt them surge. I find it hard to believe that it is trying to find the best fuel economy by surging - in fact, I would think the opposite would be true in that the surging would decrease the fuel economy. Telling me to "get used to it" is not acceptable. We purchased Toyota rather than a similar domestic model, which would have been 1/2 the cost, because they had a good reputation. We are extremely frustrated.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?
Gotta ask the obvious: Is it set for radar assisted speed control? If so, is the traffic causing your perceived speed shifts? Are you aware of the settings?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Gotta ask the obvious: Is it set for radar assisted speed control? If so, is the traffic causing your perceived speed shifts? Are you aware of the settings?
Don't think a LE have this feature.

·
Registered
16 Posts
YES! I'm NOT going crazy!

My 2016 SE does this also! I had the dealer check into it and they said they didn't notice anything. I'm not talking about downshifting on a hill, I'm talking about a slight surge/deceleration on level highway. It happens in all 3 drive settings (Sport/Normal/Eco) the same way. Sometimes it is bad enough that I begin to feel car sick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 17 xle hybrid doesn't do that and my 14 le didn't either. Just piping up for more data points.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
450 Posts
My 17 xle hybrid doesn't do that and my 14 le didn't either. Just piping up for more data points.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Hybrid's uses CVT. No shift points as normal gearbox. Your "14 LE not doing it;- No idea.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My 2016 SE does this also! I had the dealer check into it and they said they didn't notice anything. I'm not talking about downshifting on a hill, I'm talking about a slight surge/deceleration on level highway. It happens in all 3 drive settings (Sport/Normal/Eco) the same way. Sometimes it is bad enough that I begin to feel car sick.
No issues with my 2016 SE with surging. I don't use it much as I'm not on freeway often, but I tried it again today looking for this and it's dead even and smooth.
Can you actually see a speed change on speedo with this surging, or mostly just hear it in motor / transmission speed?

·
Registered
16 Posts
No issues with my 2016 SE with surging. I don't use it much as I'm not on freeway often, but I tried it again today looking for this and it's dead even and smooth.
Can you actually see a speed change on speedo with this surging, or mostly just hear it in motor / transmission speed?
You don't see it on the speedometer or hear it, you feel it in the seat of your pants.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My 2016 XLE does that, but only when going uphill, noticed on a recent trip, it can be a bit annoying but it really doesn't bother me since 99% of the time we drive on flat terrain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
I've found the easiest way to deal with this is using Manual Shift Mode on big hills. If I'm cruising along at 70mph and hit a long hill I wait for it to downshift. Then I bump it into manual mode to hold the gear until cresting the top. Then bump it back into "D" and carry on. I only do it when it downshifts to 4th. I never experience any severe hunting between 5th and 6th.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cruise control surge

You don't see it on the speedometer or hear it, you feel it in the seat of your pants.
I have noticed it also on my 2016 limited. Haven't contact dealer yet but I will on its first service oil change visit.
It is very slight but noticeable. I originally thought it was due to a head wind but that is not the case. Flat road, no hills or head/tail wind. No change in Tach or speed. But there is a slightly annoying constant surge feel, almost like touching the brakes. I do not use the radar cruise control feature so I know that is not causing it. It just seems like the computer is constantly adjusting something to control the speed, even when not needed. Neither my Tacoma or 4Runner do it. :confused:

(Additionally, it will do it in Sport or Eco mode)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Never a problem with my car. Cruise has worked perfectly and I love the adaptive feature!

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
ACC on my '16 Hybrid Ltd works great on any road conditions, up or down hill, CC on my '15 Ltd was hinky any time a hill was encountered. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same issue with my 2014 XLE. When I go up a hill and I'm on cruise control, the RPM goes from 2800 to 4000. I was used to this with my 2011 Camry but it didn't increase to that degree. The main problem I have is that the RPMs stay at 4000 until I go downhill. I've found that the only solution is to brake after going up a hill on cruise control.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Same issue with my 2014 XLE. When I go up a hill and I'm on cruise control, the RPM goes from 2800 to 4000. I was used to this with my 2011 Camry but it didn't increase to that degree. The main problem I have is that the RPMs stay at 4000 until I go downhill. I've found that the only solution is to brake after going up a hill on cruise control.
Welcome! Are you certain that the RPM increase isn't simply because your transmission downshifts due to the uphill grade? Not certain what you mean by braking after going uphill and why one would do that. The RAV and Camry are different vehicles and different behavior is to be expected.

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
I think he means touching the brake to cancel CC, I always lifted the CC stalk towards the steering wheel momentarily to cancel CC instead of braking to avoid the surging and hinky operation of the 4.4 CC system when hills were encountered, it was easier to just to just use the throttle pedal on the hill then hit resume later, mine even dropped 2 gears on downhills which was real exciting and totally unnecessary. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts