Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the cc switch in my '99 rav4 fell apart, actually came right out of the back of the stalk. an E-shaped contact spring fell out. any idea how to reassemble it? orientation of the spring? thanks

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
This unfortunately has been a common problem for SOME RAVs. I'm suprised nobody has replied yet :?

Sorry... I'm NOT going to be any help, as my 1996 model has NOT had this issue :)

Did you get it back together? If not... you might visiting the junk yards for a replacement that has the SCREW detailed in this TSB ---> http://rav4world.com/tsb/EL012-00.pdf

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. Not repaired yet; I can't figure how it goes together. I'll try the link you posted.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mine fell apart as well .
I went to my dealer and he just pushed the two halves together
(at no charge :D ) and it has stayed together ever since .

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Derek said:
I didn't know that our 4.1 RAVs had cruise control? :?: :) :?: At least mines does not have it. Was it an option on certain models (i.e. "L" edition?)
My 1996 has it 8) CC was not limited to "L's"... I'm pretty sure it was an OPTION available on ANY model :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I managed to break the entire cc arm/stalk/lever clean off from where it enters into the steering wheel. Has anyone here replaced this part and if so what is involved? For now I have crazy glued it back together but I would rather replace if it is not too difficult.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to Toyota you have to replace the entire steering column. At least that is what they told me when Mine "didn't work". Later I was driving, felt the back of the cruise control and realized I could push it in. Now I have a working cruise control. I read up on the tsb then went to the dealer. He pointed out that the recall is europeon, so no go here in the states.

Back to the point. The cruise control is heavily integrated into the steering column. There is no replacement part sold, you have to buy an entire column. So if you really want it, go find a good one in a salvage yard. Otherwise sell your first born to Toyota.

·
Registered
650 Posts
gaps said:
I managed to break the entire cc arm/stalk/lever clean off from where it enters into the steering wheel. Has anyone here replaced this part and if so what is involved? For now I have crazy glued it back together but I would rather replace if it is not too difficult.
Like this?

When it first broke on me, I also super glued it.

After it dried, I tested it and it seemed fine.

I hardly ever use the cc but last weekend I used it and it broke on me again.

Wanting a more durable repair, I took the switch off today to see what could be done...

NOTE 1: I don't know if this is the correct procedure, but it worked for me.

NOTE 2: * You have to remove air bag so proceed with caution *

I disconneted the battery and then turned the igintion on hoping to drain and discharge any power.

Remove the two bolts (T30) holding the air bag in place

The air bag pops out . Disconnect the yellow plug.

Remove the two bolts holding the switch and unplug it.

There's nothing I could quickly do, so I decided to just leave the switch off for now.

NOTE 3:The blue wire from the cc switch is for the horn. If you remove the switch like I did, use a jumper wire to make the horn work. (Found oud the hard way)

If I do a repair that works, I'll post it. But I'm thinking it may be best to just buy a replacement switch.

Sig

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a fuse for the cc? My safety shift switch which requires you to depress your brake before shifting in or out of park went out, so I took it to a local repair shop for repair. My cruise control has not worked since then. Before doing anything major I was wondering if maybe a fuse maybe to cause. Any suggestions?

My 96 has a ton of power still and living in the wide open spaces of West Texas, I really need my cruise control

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
nice now i can change my steering wheel after seen how you can remove it. look at checho steering whell i like it

·
Registered
155 Posts
twr said:
the cc switch in my '99 rav4 fell apart, actually came right out of the back of the stalk. an E-shaped contact spring fell out. any idea how to reassemble it? orientation of the spring? thanks
Ah-ha!!! The exact same problem that I have (except the E shaped spring is missing from mine)

Did you ever come up with a fix???

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Go to a junk yard, pull the stalk off a toyota, and you are good to go.

The back of my switch was loose and kept falling out, some black silicone took care of that...

Brett

·
Registered
155 Posts
brett gazdzinski said:
Go to a junk yard, pull the stalk off a toyota, and you are good to go.

Brett
How hard is it to replace the entire stalk?

Are the cruise stalks interchangeable or do I need the specific RAV4 part #?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I've fixed these multiple times. Your actually pretty lucky if yours HASN'T fallen apart yet, almost every 4.1 I work on now has this problem.

Its an easy fix (the back coming off), no need to go and buy parts you dont need. All you need to do is put the spring back in, lub the contacts to keep the button from sticking, and glue/tape/ziptie/whatever the back cover back into the stalk. I super glued mine, if I had seen this thread before, I would have posted how to fix it. But now that its super glued, theres no way I can go back and take pictures.

If someone can take a picture, I can explain how to put the spring back in (not complicated).

Oh, and if you know how the spring goes back in, and you want to attempt to glue it, BE CAREFUL to NOT press the back of the switch in as the glue sets. If you put too much force down on it when it sets, the button can jam when you use it (thats why its a good idea to lube the contacts, just in case.).

hawkeye16 said:

Thanks.
If you scroll up not even 5 posts to Sig228's post, he posted a complete walk through to pull the stalk out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Drifter said:
I've fixed these multiple times. Your actually pretty lucky if yours HASN'T fallen apart yet, almost every 4.1 I work on now has this problem.

Its an easy fix (the back coming off), no need to go and buy parts you dont need. All you need to do is put the spring back in, lub the contacts to keep the button from sticking, and glue/tape/ziptie/whatever the back cover back into the stalk. I super glued mine, if I had seen this thread before, I would have posted how to fix it. But now that its super glued, theres no way I can go back and take pictures.

If someone can take a picture, I can explain how to put the spring back in (not complicated).

Oh, and if you know how the spring goes back in, and you want to attempt to glue it, BE CAREFUL to NOT press the back of the switch in as the glue sets. If you put too much force down on it when it sets, the button can jam when you use it (thats why its a good idea to lube the contacts, just in case.).

hawkeye16 said:

Thanks.
If you scroll up not even 5 posts to Sig228's post, he posted a complete walk through to pull the stalk out.
The problem is I do NOT have the E shaped "spring" that contacts the contacts. The previous owner lost that piece. So.....I'm not sure how to proceed. I can get the whole stalk. Is it easier to replace the entire stalk or just the spring?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I like silicone seal, it holds things together, but you can get it apart if you have to.

Just take the parts you need out of one in a junk yard, its likely Toyota made them the same over various models and years....

Brett

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
brett gazdzinski said:
I like silicone seal, it holds things together, but you can get it apart if you have to.

Just take the parts you need out of one in a junk yard, its likely Toyota made them the same over various models and years....

Brett
if you dont have the spring, id definitely go with what brett said and go get one from a junk yard / find one online.

silicone seal....hmmm, wish I had thought of that. :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts