Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a couple of guys picked up RAV4 over CRV. I am in the process of choosing between 2006 CRV SE and 2006 RAV4.

Any experience for the difference between the two?

I'd like to know which one provide more comfortable sitting on the back seats for three adults?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I also test drove the CRV and the RAV4. The back seat of the RAV4 has more legroom. The handling is much improved with the 2006 RAV4, handles a bit better than the CRV in my opinion, especially the sport version of the RAV4. I liked standard side curtain airabgs on the CRV but could not get over that cheap hard plastic center arm rest or cupholder thing and the cheap looking material in the interior overall.
Honda is suppose to redesign the CRV in the 2007 model. I would be a bit worry about Honda's first or second year production runs. They had so many problems with the new Honda mini-van, I am starting to wonder about Honda's commitment to quality control. Dont get me wrong, I still think Honda make some of the best engines in the world, but their built quality and material used have been sub-par in their recent vehicles. This is coming from a guy who had owned 3 Hondas in the pass. The last 2 cars are Toyotas. The Toyota engines are as good as Honda's and their built quality and material used are much better in my opinion.

Good Luck

·
Registered
654 Posts
There are several people I work with that have CRVs (different gens, too). Those who have sat (ranging from 5'6" to 6'3") in my back seat said the RAV seems to have more room and more comfortable than the CRV. They also really liked the recline feature.

I test drove a CRV before the 2006 RAVs were released and it was okay. I liked the ride better than the Element although it's basically the same tranny. But it just didn't have a whole lot of pick up for my taste. Reminded me too much of the Honda Civic wagon I was trading in. I think CRVs are nice but I prefered the overall design and package in the RAV. It was really a no brainer for me.

If you haven't done so, bring your passengers with you when you test drive both.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was all set to go CRV shopping a few weeks ago.

Took my girlfriend and my best friend to go test drive and when we were done testing the 06 CRV and the 06 RAV, there was just no comparison.

The RAV really is that much nicer and so much more useful.

I also was very turned off by the lack of storage in the CRV as well as that cheap plastic cupholder/shelf.

Go test drive each one back to back and let us know what you think. My guess is you'll go with the RAV.

·
Registered
771 Posts
My buddy just went through the process and he is very picky and critical. He already is an Acura owner and wanted the CRV but after serious consideration he finally chose the RAV over the CRV. I was surprised because he is such a big Honda fan but I guess the RAV really is the better choice. More advanced 4wd drive system too. That makes a difference.

Later. M.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the problem is that both models are at different ends of their product life-cycle.

Personally I felt that the 4.2 RAV was a better drive than the CRV ( especially the 3 door RAV ), and I expect the newer 4.3 to have added more refinement and space. The main advantage the CRV has over the new 4.3 at the moment in some markets is price.

In the UK I could get a top of the range CRV with leather and sat-nav for the same price as a mid-range 4.3, but I would rather have the Rav 4.3. A very high-spec CRV might be a good 2nd hand buy though, I have seen some nice deals recently.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
missing side/curtain airbeg

Compare rav4 againt crv, the other concern I have is that CRV got side/curtain airbag as standard, while in Canada, rav4 only offers the side/curtain airbag for the top of the line model (V6 limited) plus an additional B package, which amounts to 10000 CAD above the base 4 price.

It seems to me that RAV4 has traction control, and CRV does not. It is not clear to me how useful is the side/curtain airbag, and does the side/curtain worth 10000?

·
Registered
332 Posts
All new CR-V is coming this fall and 06 CR-V's resale value will be bad.
And some (even 06) CR-Vs have the problem, called PTTR
(pull to the right when driving straight, It's hard to fix at even dealer, you can search on internet) :(

If I were u, I won't get any chance to get
the old styled, soon-to-be-old, pricy vehicle and headaches.
because there is new, better looking, larger, quality vehicle to be compared like Rav4.

That's why I got 06 Rav4.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CRV vs RAV4

I just traded a 2002 CRV for a RAV4. Why? RAV is much much quieter on a coarse road surface than the CRV, front seats are wider and more comfotable the RAV is just more refined than the CRV.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CRV vs RAV

One thing I noticed the first few days in the RAV vs my old CRV was due to the solid quiet ride of the RAV I had to look at my speedometer more often. It felt like I was at a lower speed than the speedometer was showing. I even went as far as checking the speed on the road, 60 seconds at 60 mph from mile marker to mile marker was right on the money so the speedometer is correct but the sensation of speed is quiet different compared to the noisey ride of the CRV. In the CRV you have a lot more noise from the tires and somewhat more noise from the engine compartment.
It was difficult to carry on a conversation with a back seat passenger in the CRV on a coarse road surfaceand I had tried differrent tires and added dynamatt insulation to the CRV to attempt to get rid of the noise issue. The dynamatt helped some but the CRV was still not as quiet as the RAV. Good job Toyota!

My wife says the back seats are more comfortable in the RAV. The cargo are is longer and wider in the RAV but the CRV's cargo area is taller. The table between the seats in the CRV seems to be a love are or hate it deal, personaly it worked fine for me. The visibility out the rear window is better in the RAV than the CRV.

The only negatives so far on the RAV for me are the lack of a rear cargo area light, the radio is not XM ready, and a little less height in the cargo area is creating some issues as far as haling my bike, none of these are big problems and there are alternatives to all. I have no regrets in buying my RAV4 at all!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: CRV vs RAV

TICMXMAN said:
One thing I noticed the first few days in the RAV vs my old CRV was due to the solid quiet ride of the RAV I had to look at my speedometer more often.
This always happened in my old RAV as well...before I knew it, I was speeding! :oops:

One thing I noticed the other day was how the speedometer numbers display on my new RAV are every 20. I was in a school zone the first day I drove it...and, I had to go 25...I looked down, and there was no 30! LOL! It just looked weird to me, and I thought to myself, "what is different?"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts