Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Just recently joined the forum and have been reading up and down all the info everyone has been giving! Getting all the creative juices flowing! I am the recent owner of a 1997 Rav4 (USA) - 4dr automatic, and after a few issues with title, registration and smogging the car (Craigslist car of course), I'm getting ready to get into some light modifications.

First on the list is figuring out how to increase the cup holder situations as that's the main complaint I've been getting. It has 1 cup holder in the whole car, haha.
Any idea's as to how to MOD this?

Secondly, Any ideas on adding a double din had unit, while keeping/moving the cig lighter panel.

Thirdly, I'd like to add/replace the antenna situation. The signal is horrible as it is currently. Cuts out completely with any overhead disturbance. Maybe it has to do with the head unit I currently have, installed idk. I'd like to get a larger antenna off to the side of the car or rear.

Really digging the car a lot and definitely fun to drive! Also love the stance too!

I've been gather up ideas for MOD's to the car like a bull bar w/ guards, fog lights, overhead flood lights, new more aggressive black riveted wheels and tires, key less entry & alarm, tail light guards AND possible lifting! Feel like a kid in a candy story reading through everyone's post n MODs, lol.

As of right now, I've got one estimate for $700 to re-do all the leather interior + $160 for the head liner. So I'm thinking of jumping on that to restore the look and comfort. Any thoughts on that would be cool too!

If you guys could help with any of the above, it will definitely be appreciated. Will post some pictures ASAP of the current look. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
Wow! Sounds like you're really going to fix up your new Rav! I can't wait to see the pictures!

As for the cupholder situation, we all hear you...its pretty bad. There are a few solutions from the OEM side, but one of them will conflict with your planned double-DIN spot. If you look in the "Classifieds" here under the "Tools" tab when you are logged in, you can see a couple of posts that I put up for the OEM cupholders that I am selling. One is just a double cupholder that fits into the single cupholder in the center console, and the other is a double cupholder that fits where your cigarette lighter is now (but that one would eliminate the spot for your planned double-DIN).

As for the double-DIN trim, check this out:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-...le-din-radio-surround-lower-center-stack.html

I don't know about a double-DIN trim that would include a spot for your 12V. However, you if you're not keeping the single-DIN, you can move a pocket into that spot and put the 12V in there, kinda like what is shown here (but on the lower DIN):

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/84-4-1-accessories/267969-wrecker-yard-cargo-net-find.html

The pocket is the perfect place to put your cell phone when its charging. Or, you could just modify the ashtray to house the 12v.

Lastly, I had aftermarket leather installed in my '00 when it was new, and I had Classic Soft Trim install it. I am totally impressed, because it still looks new at 17 years old (I do take care of it properly, so that helps). They also still offer a lifetime warranty, I believe. They do everything -- back pockets, headrests, and door panels, too, and it is all real leather. I have recommended them to many people. They now offer a lot more options, too, such as contrast-colored stitching, which I think is pretty cool.

If you wish to go full-out, there is a really nice steering wheel leather wrap from Red Line Goods (Shift boot store - RedlineGoods leather shift boots).

You will need to remove your steering wheel to properly install their wraps, because they are FULL steering wheel wraps. The steering wheel on our Rav's is very easy to remove (you just need a Torx 27 bit and a 19mm socket), so if you decide to get one, don't worry about removing the steering wheel. (Post back if you do, and I'll give you more specific instructions; the most important instruction is to disconnect the battery and wait at least 10 minutes before you go fiddling with it, due to the airbag. There's also instructions on youtube.)

I like those RedLine steering wheel leathers, but in the end I didn't get one because I was able to make my own (I sew), which is also an option for you -- its not too difficult, and kinda fun! The steering wheel leather really makes it look nice, and you can add extra padding, if you'd like.

Please keep us posted with your modifications! It will be fun to watch your Rav4 get so fixed-up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, Thanks for replying with all that info!

Yeah, I think I might be interested in buying one of the cup holders. It makes more sense to have any stereo head unit high compared to say something like a Universal Single Unit din with a cup holder (via Ebay) where it would put the double din head unit below per said part.
For the cup holder that fits into the single cup holder, does the added cup holder just hang in the back? fairly secure?
Have to do some thinking on placement of a few things... hummm... haha. Also saw some cup holders that sit on the headrest for people in the back... humm... but looks a lil cheapo looking and i'm not sure if i want drinks that close to my head on any type of rough terrain, haha.

Will def check out CST, they actually have a location fairly close to me awesome, didn't know about them.

Thanks again for all the info! Will be posting here as soon as i get some things going and keep everyone updated!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, so the first few things I've done besides working some smogging issues (not fun at all in So Cal) are... Images attached.

1. Replaced the old spark plugs and wire set which def needed to be replacing, to some new NGK ones. Already can tell the difference in the get-up-go.

2. Swapped out the current single din/cig lighter for the double cup holder w/ recessed lighter. They're a little dinky, but I'm much happier with them. Upon removing the old unit and installing the new unit, I was using my cell phone's flashlight for light and I ended up forgetting my phone inside the car, haha. Heard the ringing and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. lol. Not too bad getting it out though.

3. Replaced some bulbs and markers as well. May need to swap out the overhead light unit over the front 2 seats as it doesn't seem to be working, could be a fuse, idk yet.

Now I'm not sure what to do about the Air Filter... I kinda want to get a KnN Cold Air Intake, but it's illegal in California.... I could go for just the KnN Air Filter OR somehow get the KnN Cold Air Intake and swap it out w/ the original every so often for emissions test. Any thoughts?

Also, whats the best way to get old grease n motor oil off the engine, I'm pretty just I got a valve cover gasket leak and possibly a lower leak in from the oil pan gasket, just wanted to see if i could pin-point it. I've done the valve cover gasket on a 3 series BMW and it took a while too do. Any anyone have any experience in these both? Thanks - GB

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts