Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cup holders on my 98 are a bad joke. I can't put it in park with something in the cup holders,
I think they were designed for a 12oz foam cup, nothing bigger.
What can be done to fix the problem??

If I recall, in the next generation, they moved the ebrake handle to one side and put cup holders between the seats. That is what I think needs to be done, as I just stuff cups between the e-handle and seat now, but they have been knocked over and made a hell of a mess, so a real cup holder is needed, but no room with the e-brake handle were it is. Any other ideas?

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
I'm considering a foot pedal e-brake and then looking for a console that would fit from a donor car with cup holders like you talked about that I could modify and have it sit behind the shifter. Or, a side mount e-brake with a cup holding console from donor car.

I have a 5-speed manual 99 RAV4 that I installed a double din radio (see link at http://www.rav4world.com/forums/84-4-1-accessories/227009-install-double-din-radio-gauges-12v-power-point-usb-power-point.html) into in the lower area where the useless cupholders used to be and now I have no cup holders at all.

I have too many projects going at the moment to pursue it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Toyota offers an electric emergency brake on the new Rav4.
Of the 2 systems Toyota offers, one was designed to be backward compatible with the older cable system.

Reactions: eodgator

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The cup holders on my 98 are a bad joke. I can't put it in park with something in the cup holders,
I think they were designed for a 12oz foam cup, nothing bigger.
What can be done to fix the problem??
There are various center console/armrests -- the big one with a lid has a cupholder in it toward the front. But easier if you don't have the latter (eBay) is just to use 12-ounce soda cans. :wink

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just bumping this thread to see if anyone has had success relocating their e-brake or found another solution for the horribly deficient cupholder situation.

I’m currently contemplating trying to install the dash-mount pull & twist style ebrake that came on a lot of the Tacomas and earlier pickups. They’re easy to find on ebay or in a junk yard. I’m just not sure how much work is going to be involved in retrofitting it. I’m guessing that it will require some custom mounts, cutting into the dash, and possibly adapting a force multiplier/pulley system to account for the difference in cable travel.

Once the e-brake is out of the way, I’ll be searching for a different center console to retrofit. I wonder what will fit closely...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't done much, I did remove the center console compartment, and it has a cup holder under it,
so I put big cups in that holder, but mostly I just cram them between the seat and ebrake handle.
Haven't spilled one lately.

I have seen some good ones that pull out from the dash in some volvos and other cars, and
this might be a way to go somehow.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
No, life events has put my projects on hold for a little while. When I wrap up my interior project; recovering the headliner, finish sound deadening, roof rack rails and cross bars, xm-shark fin antenna, running the wire harness so the RAV4 can be towed 4 wheels down and use the existing lights, new speakers, and several other projects, I'll get back to the center console. Every time I'm in a candy store, I mean salvage yard I explore the center consoles. The ones for an older (I have no idea of the year) Prius looks great but they are much too long. Considering buying one and cutting and plastic welding it back together. Padding the armrest with the same material I used on the headliner. The local salvage guy only wants $20.00 US for it so even if I destroy it, I'm not out much. But I still have to move that pesky emergency brake to do it. I'm really considering a electric emergency brake as I said before.

And I almost forgot, install new CV Joints because the driver's side is kaput.

The shiny black part opens up and exposes a single cup holder and just in front another flips forward exposing a second cup holder, there are also rear seat cup holders. CUP HOLDERS, can you imagine four, count 'em four useful sized cup holders in a first generation RAV4!!! Hmmm, I didn't look but I bet it has an electric emergency brake in there somewhere!

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
And, I found a nice over the interior rear view mirror console from an old Jag that has eyeglass holders, map lights, and four switches that I could use for something, maybe one for the passenger ejection seat. Maybe not the ejection seat thing, it would stain my new headliner. LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm going to creep this...just sayin' My 97's (still working on a name for her) location for that poor excuse of a cup holder....
Regardless, beings as how i spend 5hrs a day in my car, something will need to be done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts